Yellowjackets & Hornets was Re: [NatureNS] Garter Snake

From: "David Webster" <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 21:31:10 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_02AA_01C9DBED.CA47E050

Hi Paul & All,            May 23, 2009
   Yellow jackets become more numerous with time and take exception to =
having their nest disturbed or broken [and a swarm of 50 is more =
impressive than a swarm of 5] but are placid early or late if not =
disturbed or frightened.=20

    It has been my experience that in late summer/early fall they are =
likely to try to help eat your fried chicken, jelly, apple... and in =
general just join the picnic as opposed to being inclined to sting.

    Freshly applied Deep Woods is effective if one has to work near a =
disturbed nest. Several times I have loaded wood in an angry cloud and =
not been stung.=20

    Chewing tobacco is effective, even for Black Wasp stings, if applied =
as a gob within seconds of the sting. When mowing points of the =
Cornwallis River with a hand scythe, where one could count on being =
stung every hour or so, I always tried to keep close to a chewer.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville

   =20

   =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20