[NatureNS] Garter Snake

Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 12:30:40 -0300
From: Joan Czapalay <joancz@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

    &lt;DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"&gt;----- Original Message --
Hi Roland and all- I have had a lifetime fascination with reptiles. I
suggest that all interested in this chat line "google" Reptiles and
Amphibians of Nova Scotia, or purchase from the Museum of Natural
History the excellent book of the same title by John Gilhen. For
information on the garter snakes  go to:
http://museum.gov.ns.ca/amphibians/en/snakes/garter.asp
and for the Northern Ring-necked snake here :
http://museum.gov.ns.ca/amphibians/en/snakes/ringneck.asp
Note that the Eastern Ribbon Snake is on the Species at Risk site as
"threatened" in both N.S. and Canada.
I have handled many snakes and cannot understand their bad reputation.
They are great insect eaters, and good to encourage in your garden.
 ( I was always on the side of the serpent.) Cheers, Joan
Back briefly before Breeding Bird Atlas work in Regions 15 and 18.