[NatureNS] Fred Dobson Warbler Walk, Goodwood, HRM

Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 22:09:47 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_1970531==.ALT

Hi there,

         Six of us met at 6 a.m. at the=20
intersection of Hwy 3 and Hwy 333 on the=20
outskirts of  Halifax for this field trip.  It=20
was a lovely calm, clear morning, and rather cool=20
after frost warnings last night.  Joan Waldron=20
met us but unfortunately wasn't able to come=20
along.  However most of us had been on the trip=20
before, with Fred Dobson and with Joan, and knew the way and what to expect.

         The traffic on the Prospect Road was=20
already building up, and although we heard some=20
birds singing as we walked along the Big Indian=20
Lake Road, we didn't linger to investigate them=20
as we were anxious to get into the woods and=20
beyond the sound of the traffic. I was wearing=20
thin gloves, which I often wear to keep off black=20
flies, but I needed them to keep my hands=20
warm!.   Bird activity was limited for the first=20
few hours, probably due to the temperature and=20
the low insect activity.  However even later in=20
the morning when it warmed up and the black flies=20
became irritating, we felt that some expected=20
species were missing entirely and others were=20
unusually scarce.  There was one beginning birder=20
in our group; I hope she was not discouraged by=20
our wistful reminiscences of past field trips,=20
and comments about what we ought to be seeing!

         The forest along the old Nova Scotia=20
Power Commission road is mixed growth, in which=20
there is a large component of dead or dying=20
coniferous trees.  We speculated about the=20
reasons for the decline; Rich Peckham suggested=20
that perhaps it was an even-aged forest created=20
by bad forestry practices or a forest fire years=20
ago.  These trees are fallen and collapsing into=20
dense tangles of rotten wood, covered in mosses=20
and lush lobaria and usnea lichens.  Hurricane=20
Juan knocked down a lot of the standing dead wood=20
and there is a dense growth of young Balsam Fir=20
coming up though the deadfalls.  The undergrowth=20
was full of White-throated Sparrows and Dark-eyed=20
Juncos.  The early part of the walk was=20
highlighted by the exuberant singing of Winter=20
Wrens, remarkably abundant here in what must be=20
prime habitat for them.  Black-throated Green=20
Warblers were the "warbler of the day", the=20
first, most common, and frequently heard.  There=20
were several Northern Flickers calling, and=20
perhaps also a Pileated Woodpecker, although we=20
saw only the former.   Ovenbirds and Ruffed=20
Grouse were absent, and we missed hearing the=20
songs of Hermit Thrushes, Black-and-white=20
Warblers, and Ruby-crowned Kinglets, which are=20
usually common here - we only heard one of each, briefly.

         During the walk down the long hill to=20
Big Indian Lake, which is lined with hardwoods,=20
we began to find more birds, including Magnolia=20
Warblers and Blue-headed Vireos. A pair of=20
Red-breasted Nuthatches were chattering softly to=20
one another and  keeping close company.  Clarence=20
Stevens Sr. was lucky to have a brief glimpse of=20
a Blackburnian Warbler.  We all enjoyed seeing a=20
Brown Creeper, which Dennis Hippern=20
spotted.  Down at the lake, a pair of Common=20
Loons kept their distance, a pair of Common=20
Mergansers flew overhead, and a single Spotted=20
Sandpiper flushed and flew low over the=20
water.   Indian Pear, Leatherleaf,  Goldthread,=20
Bluets, and Small White Violets were in bloom.

         We walked slowly back up the hill, and=20
then took the road in the other direction towards=20
Drysdale's Bog.  A lively pair of Palm Warblers=20
and a richly-singing Lincoln's Sparrow were the=20
hoped-for highlights in this habitat, as well as=20
Common Yellowthroats.  Clarence found a=20
roughly-cut trail though the woods and across the=20
bog, which allowed us to skirt the deep pool=20
which cuts off the far end of the road, so we=20
were able to go further than usual.   Liz Doull=20
spotted a thrush, and we found a few=20
Yellow-rumped Warblers and Purple Finches.  The=20
morning traffic noise from Highway 103 was louder than I remembered.

         No one had to go to work after the trip,=20
so we did not hurry back.  On the return walk we=20
finally heard and saw a Parula Warbler, singing=20
in a birch alongside a handsome pair of American=20
Goldfinches.  Liz saw a Boreal Chickadee.  At the=20
last house on the road, a Snowshoe Hare sat=20
watchfully on the lawn.  There were Ruby-throated=20
Hummingbirds at the first house, where there are=20
lots of bird houses and feeders.  The homeowner=20
reported that he has not had any Tree Swallows=20
yet this year.   He also told us of a recent=20
sighting of Ring-necked Pheasants, new to the area.

         It was almost 11 a.m. when we reached=20
the parking lot of the Goodwood United Church.  A=20
raptor flapped heavily and then soared circling=20
overhead.   Although it was able to fly well, it=20
was in bad shape, missing a number of  its=20
primaries and a few tail feathers.  Was it=20
moulting or had someone taken a shot at=20
it?   After much discussion we agreed was an immature Red-tailed Hawk.

         Not everyone saw everything, but nearly=20
40 species were found in all.  It was a lovely=20
morning, on an interesting trail which would be=20
worth visiting again later in the season.  These=20
places are getting scarcer, so close to the city.

         Thanks for the good company!

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax

>Wed 20 May 2009 =96 The Fred Dobson Warbler Walk
>Leader: Joan Waldron 477-4273 E-mail:=20
><mailto:waldrojo@ns.sympatico.ca>waldrojo@ns.sympatico.ca
>Meet at 6:00 a.m. in the =93Park and Ride=94 lot at=20
>the junction of Prospect Road (Rte #333) and St.=20
>Margaret=92s Bay Road (Rte #3) near exit #2 on Hwy=20
>#103. Duration: 3 hours. Waterproof footwear and fly repellent are=
 recommended.
>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

--=====================_1970531==.ALT

Hi there,<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Six of us
met at 6 a.m. at the intersection of Hwy 3 and Hwy 333 on the outskirts
of&nbsp; Halifax for this field trip.&nbsp; It was a lovely calm, clear
morning, and rather cool after frost warnings last night.&nbsp; Joan
Waldron met us but unfortunately wasn't able to come along.&nbsp; However
most of us had been on the trip before, with Fred Dobson and with Joan,
and knew the way and what to expect. <br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>The
traffic on the Prospect Road was already building up, and although we
heard some birds singing as we walked along the Big Indian Lake Road, we
didn't linger to investigate them as we were anxious to get into the
woods and beyond the sound of the traffic. I was wearing thin gloves,
which I often wear to keep off black flies, but I needed them to keep my
hands warm!.&nbsp;&nbsp; Bird activity was limited for the first few
hours, probably due to the temperature and the low insect activity.&nbsp;
However even later in the morning when it warmed up and the black flies
became irritating, we felt that some expected species were missing
entirely and others were unusually scarce.&nbsp; There was one beginning
birder in our group; I hope she was not discouraged by our wistful
reminiscences of past field trips, and comments about what we ought to be
seeing!<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>The forest
along the old Nova Scotia Power Commission road is mixed growth, in which
there is a large component of dead or dying coniferous trees.&nbsp; We
speculated about the reasons for the decline; Rich Peckham suggested that
perhaps it was an even-aged forest created by bad forestry practices or a
forest fire years ago.&nbsp; These trees are fallen and collapsing into
dense tangles of rotten wood, covered in mosses and lush lobaria and
usnea lichens.&nbsp; Hurricane Juan knocked down a lot of the standing
dead wood and there is a dense growth of young Balsam Fir coming up
though the deadfalls.&nbsp; The undergrowth was full of White-throated
Sparrows and Dark-eyed Juncos.&nbsp; The early part of the walk was
highlighted by the exuberant singing of Winter Wrens, remarkably abundant
here in what must be prime habitat for them.&nbsp; Black-throated Green
Warblers were the &quot;warbler of the day&quot;, the first, most common,
and frequently heard.&nbsp; There were several Northern Flickers calling,
and perhaps also a Pileated Woodpecker, although we saw only the
former.&nbsp;&nbsp; Ovenbirds and Ruffed Grouse were absent, and we
missed hearing the songs of Hermit Thrushes, Black-and-white Warblers,
and Ruby-crowned Kinglets, which are usually common here - we only heard
one of each, briefly.&nbsp; <br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>During the
walk down the long hill to Big Indian Lake, which is lined with
hardwoods, we began to find more birds, including Magnolia Warblers and
Blue-headed Vireos. A pair of Red-breasted Nuthatches were chattering
softly to one another and&nbsp; keeping close company.&nbsp; Clarence
Stevens Sr. was lucky to have a brief glimpse of a Blackburnian
Warbler.&nbsp; We all enjoyed seeing a Brown Creeper, which Dennis
Hippern spotted.&nbsp; Down at the lake, a pair of Common Loons kept
their distance, a pair of Common Mergansers flew overhead, and a single
Spotted Sandpiper flushed and flew low over the water.&nbsp;&nbsp; Indian
Pear, Leatherleaf,&nbsp; Goldthread, Bluets, and Small White Violets were
in bloom.&nbsp; <br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>We walked
slowly back up the hill, and then took the road in the other direction
towards Drysdale's Bog.&nbsp; A lively pair of Palm Warblers and a
richly-singing Lincoln's Sparrow were the hoped-for highlights in this
habitat, as well as Common Yellowthroats.&nbsp; Clarence found a
roughly-cut trail though the woods and across the bog, which allowed us
to skirt the deep pool which cuts off the far end of the road, so we were
able to go further than usual.&nbsp;&nbsp; Liz Doull spotted a thrush,
and we found a few Yellow-rumped Warblers and Purple Finches.&nbsp; The
morning traffic noise from Highway 103 was louder than I
remembered.&nbsp; <br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>No one had
to go to work after the trip, so we did not hurry back.&nbsp; On the
return walk we finally heard and saw a Parula Warbler, singing in a birch
alongside a handsome pair of American Goldfinches.&nbsp; Liz saw a Boreal
Chickadee.&nbsp; At the last house on the road, a Snowshoe Hare sat
watchfully on the lawn.&nbsp; There were Ruby-throated Hummingbirds at
the first house, where there are lots of bird houses and feeders.&nbsp;
The homeowner reported that he has not had any Tree Swallows yet this
year.&nbsp;&nbsp; He also told us of a recent sighting of Ring-necked
Pheasants, new to the area.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>It was
almost 11 a.m. when we reached the parking lot of the
then soared circling overhead.&nbsp;&nbsp; Although it was able to fly
well, it was in bad shape, missing a number of&nbsp; its primaries and a
few tail feathers.&nbsp; Was it moulting or had someone taken a shot at
it?&nbsp;&nbsp; After much discussion we agreed was an immature
Red-tailed Hawk.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Not
everyone saw everything, but nearly 40 species were found in all.&nbsp;
It was a lovely morning, on an interesting trail which would be worth
visiting again later in the season.&nbsp; These places are getting
scarcer, so close to the city.&nbsp; <br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Thanks for
the good company!<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Patricia
L. Chalmers<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Halifax<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><br><br>
 The
Fred Dobson Warbler Walk<br>
</b>Leader: Joan Waldron 477-4273 E-mail:
waldrojo@ns.sympatico.ca<br>
Meet at 6:00 a.m. in the =93Park and Ride=94 lot at the junction of Prospect
Road (Rte #333) and St. Margaret=92s Bay Road (Rte #3) near exit #2 on Hwy
#103. Duration: 3 hours. Waterproof footwear and fly repellent are
recommended.<br>
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D</fo=
nt>