[NatureNS] Chimney Swifts at Sangster Bridge, Upper Falmouth

From: "john belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 22:16:16 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C9D8CF.6DD56020

After seeing Jim Wolfords posting on the Chimney Swifts at the old =
farmhouse in the Windsor Forks area (Atlas Square 20 MQ 07), I decided =
to find out where it was and drove over this afternoon. I introduced =
myself to Cheryl Rutledge who is very gracious and knowledgeable about =
birds. She invited me back this evening and told me where to stand and =
where to park. She has literally lived with swifts in her home for many =
years and is very familiar with them - to the point of handling and =
releasing birds that have fallen down the chimney into the old stove. =
They have apparently been breeding in this 200 year old farm house for =
many years. It is a great location with a view clear across the Avon =
River valley and birds are everywhere.

Sunset time was predicted for 8:44 - I showed up at 8:15. 4 Swifts were =
circling high up and mixing with 6 Barn Swallows. The Sora was calling =
loudly from the nearby pond, as it was earlier when I visited. It has =
been breeding here for a few years. Savannah Sparrows were present. Red =
Winged Blackbirds and Grackles were both gathering nesting material. 24 =
Canada Geese were feeding in a nearby field. Pheasants were making a lot =
of noise.

8:25 swifts began making passes at the house chipping loudly.
8:35 12 Swifts were making close approches. The sora was paticularly =
loud. Sun dropped below the horizon and it got very cool. Possibility of =
frost was forecast for tonight. Sky was still clear.
8:46 one swift entered the chimney - we now had a major funnel formation =
wheeling round the house.
9:00pm swifts entered abruptly making it hard to count them with =
certainty.

Within 4 minutes we had a total of 94 Swifts enter this domestic =
chimney, plus the earlier individual for 95! - how do they do it? You =
wouldn't think there would be enough space.

Mrs Rutledge tells me that there is usually a Bittern in her pond but it =
hasn't been seen yet this year. Apparently Ospreys bred on the nearby =
Avon River for years but last year were driven off the nest by Bald =
eagles. Also that a nest of Great Horned Owls is fairly close by - =
obviously I will have to go back.

John Belbin - Hantsport

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C9D8CF.6DD56020

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>After seeing Jim Wolfords posting on =
the Chimney=20
Swifts at the old farmhouse in the Windsor Forks area (Atlas Square 20 =
MQ 07), I=20
decided to find out where it was and drove over this afternoon. I =
introduced=20
myself to Cheryl Rutledge who is very gracious and knowledgeable about =
birds.=20
She invited me back this evening and told me where to stand and where to =
park.=20
She has literally lived with swifts in her&nbsp;home for many years and =
is very=20
familiar with them - to the point of handling and releasing birds that =
have=20
fallen down the chimney into the old stove. They have apparently been =
breeding=20
in this 200 year old farm house for many years. It is a great location =
with a=20
view clear across the Avon River valley and birds are =
everywhere.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Sunset time was predicted for 8:44 - I =
showed up at=20
8:15. 4 Swifts were circling high up and mixing with 6 Barn Swallows. =
The Sora=20
was calling loudly from the nearby pond, as it was earlier when I =
visited. It=20
has been breeding here for a few years. Savannah Sparrows were present. =
Red=20
Winged Blackbirds and Grackles were both gathering nesting material. 24 =
Canada=20
Geese were feeding in a nearby field. Pheasants were making a lot of=20
noise.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>8:25 swifts began making passes at the =
house=20
chipping loudly.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>8:35 12 Swifts were making close =
approches. The=20
sora was paticularly loud. Sun dropped below the horizon and it got very =
cool.=20
Possibility of frost was forecast for tonight. Sky was still =
clear.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>8:46 one swift entered the chimney - we =
now had a=20
major funnel formation wheeling round the house.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>9:00pm swifts entered abruptly making =
it hard to=20
count them with certainty.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Within 4 minutes we had a total of 94 =
Swifts enter=20
this domestic chimney, plus the earlier individual for 95!&nbsp;- how do =
they do=20
it? You wouldn't think there would be enough space.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Mrs Rutledge tells me that there is =
usually a=20
Bittern in her pond but it hasn't been seen yet this year. Apparently =
Ospreys=20
bred on the nearby Avon River for years but last year were driven off =
the=20
nest&nbsp;by Bald eagles. Also that a nest of Great Horned Owls =
is&nbsp;fairly=20
close by&nbsp;- obviously I will have to go back.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>John Belbin - Hantsport</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C9D8CF.6DD56020--