[NatureNS] owl survey

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 19:40:14 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Susann and others,

"One factor to keep in mind is that this has been an early spring in
various parts of the province, and male NSWOs stop calling once they
find a mate."

This is apparently true for Boreals, but my experience tells me
otherwise for NSWOs.

"The calling that we use to judge population densities actually
reflects failed breeding attempts, at least to the date when heard."

To establish that would require a massive amount of field work - have
you heard of this being done?

"It could conceivably be that this is an unusually successful breeding
season for NSWOs."

It certainly is *supposed* to be a peak year, but all my nest boxes
(that have been checked), and those of my collaborators in the
province (totally 135 boxes...again, not all checked), are without
owls. Grrrrr...

Randy
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of