[NatureNS] owl survey

From: Greg Campbell <gcampbell@bsc-eoc.org>
To: "'naturens@chebucto.ns.ca'" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 09:10:24 -0400

The numbers seem to be fairly low again this year, although I've only received 26 survey reports so far (online and in paper). Only 15 saw-whets have been recorded, and 5 of those were on one route. Last year was one of the worse years for saw-whet detections with for the survey, with about 0.86 owls/route (only 2002 was slightly worse) and it looks like this year might be around the same. The reports that I've received so far are the ones that were done early in the survey period though, the saw-whets are usually in higher numbers later on so the numbers may increase a bit.

Greg

Greg Campbell
Project Biologist/Biologiste
Bird Studies Canada/Études d'Oiseaux Canada
Address/adresse postale: P.O. Box 6227, Waterfowl lane
Sackville NB, E4L 1G6
Tel: (506) 364-5025
fax: (506) 364-5062