[NatureNS] owl survey

From: "David Webster" <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 09:13:44 -0300

Hi Randy & All,            May 14, 2009
    I assume Saw-whet populations might decline if small rodent populations
were low.

    Perhaps the low mouse activity at North Alton (Feb 19 e-mail) was not
restricted to NA.

    I have never previously seen a winter with so much ice cover at soil
level; perhaps due to prolonged cold, windy periods in Jan when snow cover
was thin.

    Ice was a chronic problem in the Kentville yard this winter, the sales
of driveway salt were 3X normal (according to a news clip on ATV) and when
the snow melted at North Alton, many areas had >3 inches of hard ice at soil
level; not mouse friendly.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville