[NatureNS] Fox

From: "Andrew Steeves" <andrew@gaspereau.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 19:11:25 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0435_01C9D1A3.1D1C5400

I'm gearing up today for a canoe trip down in the Clyde River area, but =
thought I'd better report that I'd had a face-to-face encounter with a =
Red Fox down along the Cornwallis River near the New Minas sewage lagoon =
on Friday morning on my meandering route to work. I'd just stopped my =
bike on a turn to look at what turned out to be my first yellow-rump =
warbler of the season. As I went to lift my binoculars to look at this =
bird, a large red fox came trotting around the corner toward me and =
almost blundered into me (he came within 30 feet). I had about 10 =
seconds to study him before he noticed me, stopped short, and slipped =
off the road into the woods. That's about as close as I've ever been to =
a red fox out and about. Very healthy looking fellow, too, with an =
unbelievably long tail. How could this fellow live so close to a =
Walmart?

I actually smell fox scent down along the river quite often. I learned =
to recognize the smell from the last bits of fox farming that was around =
New Brunswick when I was a kid. My dad used to take us to see the =
crumbling remains of old fox farms up behind Salisbury. They were large, =
complex and haunting prison-like structures built for a purpose that was =
hard for a kid to comprehend.

Best regards,
Andrew
------=_NextPart_000_0435_01C9D1A3.1D1C5400

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I'm gearing up today for a canoe trip down in the =
Clyde River=20
area, but thought I'd better report&nbsp;that I'd had a=20
face-to-face&nbsp;encounter with a Red Fox&nbsp;down along the =
Cornwallis River=20
near the New Minas sewage lagoon on Friday morning on my meandering =
route to=20
work. I'd just stopped my bike on a turn to look at what turned out to=20
be&nbsp;my first yellow-rump warbler of the season. As I went to lift my =

binoculars to look at this bird, a large red fox came trotting around =
the corner=20
toward me and almost blundered into me (he&nbsp;came within&nbsp;30 =
feet). I had=20
about 10 seconds to study him before he noticed me, stopped short, and =
slipped=20
off the road into the woods. That's about as close as I've ever been to =
a red=20
fox out and about. Very healthy looking fellow, too, with an =
unbelievably long=20
tail. How could this fellow live so close to a Walmart?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I actually smell fox scent down&nbsp;along the=20
river&nbsp;quite often. I learned&nbsp;to recognize&nbsp;the smell from =
the last=20
bits of fox farming that&nbsp;was around New Brunswick when I was a kid. =
My dad=20
used to take&nbsp;us to see the crumbling remains of old fox farms=20
up&nbsp;behind Salisbury. They were large, complex and haunting =
prison-like=20
structures built for a purpose that was hard for a kid to=20
comprehend.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Best regards,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Andrew</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0435_01C9D1A3.1D1C5400--