[NatureNS] Eastern Shore Great Egretm Dartmouth Tern

From: uhoeger@dal.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 18:37:18 -0300
CC: nS-RBA@yahoogroups.com

Well,

The fog was persistent along the shore.  Didn't burn off as I wished for.
Going down the Easter Shore I noticed that Willets have now arrived in all
the usual spots.  Conrads Beach marsh, Grand Desert and a spot a bit down
from there had several Greater Yellowlegs each (2-3 at each spot).
The spot past Grand Desert (marsh across from Hill Road) had along with
Yellowlegs and Willets a Great Egret.  The Egret was quite successful
catching fish in the channels as I watched it for close an hour.

Heading back I stopped by Red Bridge pond. Two ospreys were fishing
there, like yesterday very successful (long waiting times between photo ops).
First there was no tern. Another birder drove by (didn't see me due to the
excellence camouflage of my truck), looked for it, and left after a few
minutes.  Those who waited were rewarded.  The tern showed up almost
point 5, similar to the time I had seen it there yesterday.  It did a couple of
sweeps on "my" side of the pond, then moved on to the far end and around
the corner.
A Common Tern made a brief appearance as well, and I was told that the
Pied-billed Grebe and an otter were seen just before I arrived.

Cheers

Ulli