[NatureNS] Did I say, "Once in a career event?"

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 18:42:14 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

To all the reporters who asked me about the significance of being able
to work with a beached Sperm Whale, I replied something to the effect
of it being a "Once in a career event for me." After ~20 years at
StFX, I have worked on one pilot whale, one minke, a few porpoises and
one dolphin. After my piece broadcast on Maritime Noon on Tuesday, a
lady phoned and said, "Well, there's one here too." As you can expect,
my jaw dropped.

I jumped into the truck with a buddy, off we went to Livingstone Cove,
Ant. Co. If you park at the wharf, walk down the beach 15 minutes
south (left as you face the water from the wharf). It's not an easy
beach walk, there are outcroppings to go over, and two streams to jump
or wade.

The whale is in the intertidal, lower than the one in Havre Boucher,
and is being rocked by the waves. It is not clear to me how long it
will be there. Tides are also not favourable for the next few
days...nothing really low for awhile. I'll be bringing the field
biology class out there next Thursday at the earliest.

Tonya Wimmer of the Marine Animal Response Society has told me there
have been a few mass strandings and beachings of Sperm Whales in the
Gulf region in the last few years. She did not suggest a reason, nor
am I about to speculate.

Randy
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of