[NatureNS] Little Lake & Cornwallis River

From: "Andrew Steeves" <andrew@gaspereau.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 20:46:24 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0305_01C9C842.64C66490

TODAY: LITTLE LAKE

It was a warm day today, even when I got up at 5:00 AM, my instruments =
at the house were reading 9 degrees already. I hatched this (crazy?) =
idea this winter that I would visit and paddle all the named lakes or =
otherwise significant lakes in Kings County this season, or at least see =
how many I can get to. There are something in excess of 102 that I have =
identified. Many are a bit off the main road, as it were. This morning I =
headed out to find 'lake number five'.

Lake five is a tiny one in behind Greenfield on Gaspereau Mountain =
called Little Lake [20 T 394756 4984100]. It was about a 1 km carry in =
to the lake from the road, but the woods road and ATV trail I followed =
were fairly dry so it wasn't bad. I spent a lot of time while carrying =
thinking that one of these days I'm going to buy a lighter canoe. =
(Though I'm kind of fond of my old Chestnuts.) Anyway, there were a =
number of  Hermit Thrushes singing and ruffed grouse drumming along the =
road which kept me distracted until I reached the lake, which was a =
pleasant woodland little lake, less than 800 m to circumnavigate. =
Peepers were peeping. There were five black ducks on the pond and =
black-capped chickadees in the evergreens. The real birding highlight =
was a male hooded merganser that landed on the lake while I was =
preparing to sling my canoe on my back and head home. The sun was just =
coming up by that point and it was a splendid sight to see its erect =
hood in this sharp, low-angle light. There was also a red-winged =
blackbird singing in the stillwater beside the road on the walk out, and =
I stopped watched him chat for a while too. I got home in plenty of time =
to hand the car back over to my family for their various activities and =
then bike the 13 km to work in Kentville.

LAST FRIDAY: CORNWALLIS RIVER

I should also report that Gary Dunfield and I escaped the printshop for =
a few hours on Friday and ran the Cornwallis River from South Bishop =
Road to behind the old roundhouse in downtown Kentville. There was a lot =
of water after the heavy rains mid-week. The top part of the run was =
twisty and quick. In the lower part, we were able to skip many of the =
meanders due to the flooding which turned what would normally be a 15 km =
run into a 13 km one. There were innumerable ducks, mostly black ducks =
and mallards, though we also saw a pair (M&F) of wood ducks on the upper =
part. Just after passing under Highway 101, we pulled into a quiet =
backwater to watch a muskrat grooming and discovered a dozen or so good =
sized eastern painted turtles sunning themselves. We saw a couple of =
muskrats, but no sign of beaver at work at all. We also saw what I =
believe was a pectoral sandpiper, a small flock of tree swallows, and a =
bald eagle. Chickadees, ringed-neck pheasants, and song sparrows were =
frequently heard. The silver maples that line some sections of the river =
were in bud.

Well, that's enough out of me.

Andrew Steeves
Wolfville, NS
------=_NextPart_000_0305_01C9C842.64C66490

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>TODAY: LITTLE LAKE</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>It was a warm day today, even when I got up at 5:00 =
AM, my=20
instruments at the house were reading 9 degrees already.&nbsp;I hatched=20
this&nbsp;(crazy?) idea this winter that I would visit and paddle all=20
the&nbsp;named lakes&nbsp;or otherwise significant&nbsp;lakes in Kings =
County=20
this season, or at least see how many I can get to. There&nbsp;are =
something in=20
excess of 102 that I have identified.&nbsp;Many are a bit off the main =
road, as=20
it were. This morning&nbsp;I headed out to find 'lake number =
five'.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Lake five is a tiny one in behind Greenfield on =
Gaspereau=20
Mountain called Little Lake [20 T 394756 4984100]. It was about a 1 km =
carry in=20
to the lake from the road, but&nbsp;the&nbsp;woods road and ATV trail I =
followed=20
were fairly dry so it wasn't bad. I spent a lot of time while carrying =
thinking=20
that one of these days I'm going to buy a lighter canoe. (Though I'm =
kind of=20
fond of my old Chestnuts.) Anyway, there were a number=20
of&nbsp;&nbsp;<STRONG>Hermit Thrushes</STRONG> singing and =
<STRONG>ruffed=20
grouse</STRONG> drumming along the road which kept me distracted until I =
reached=20
the lake, which was a pleasant woodland little lake, less than 800 m to=20
circumnavigate. <STRONG>Peepers</STRONG> were peeping. There=20
were&nbsp;five&nbsp;<STRONG>black ducks</STRONG> on the pond and=20
<STRONG>black-capped chickadees</STRONG> in the evergreens. The=20
real&nbsp;birding highlight&nbsp;was a male <STRONG>hooded =
merganser</STRONG>=20
that landed on the lake while I was preparing to sling my canoe on my =
back and=20
head home. The sun was just coming up by that point and it was a =
splendid sight=20
to see its erect hood in this sharp, low-angle light. There was also a=20
<STRONG>red-winged blackbird</STRONG> singing in the stillwater beside =
the road=20
on the walk out, and I stopped watched him chat for a while too. I got =
home in=20
plenty of time to hand the car back over to&nbsp;my family for their =
various=20
activities and then bike the 13 km to work in Kentville.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>LAST FRIDAY: CORNWALLIS RIVER</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I should also&nbsp;report that Gary Dunfield and I =
escaped the=20
printshop for a few hours on Friday and ran the Cornwallis River from =
South=20
Bishop Road to behind the old roundhouse in downtown Kentville. There =
was a lot=20
of water after the heavy rains mid-week. The top part of the run was =
twisty and=20
quick. In the lower part, we were able to skip many of the meanders due =
to the=20
flooding&nbsp;which turned what would normally be a 15 km run into a 13 =
km one.=20
There were innumerable ducks, mostly <STRONG>black ducks</STRONG> and=20
<STRONG>mallards,</STRONG> though we also saw a pair (M&amp;F) of =
<STRONG>wood=20
ducks</STRONG> on the upper part. Just after passing under Highway 101, =
we=20
pulled into a quiet backwater to watch a muskrat grooming and discovered =
a dozen=20
or so good sized <STRONG>eastern painted turtles</STRONG> sunning =
themselves. We=20
saw a couple of <STRONG>muskrats,</STRONG> but no sign of beaver at work =
at all.=20
We also saw what&nbsp;I believe was a&nbsp;<STRONG>pectoral =
sandpiper,</STRONG>=20
a small flock of <STRONG>tree swallows,</STRONG> and a <STRONG>bald=20
eagle.</STRONG> <STRONG>Chickadees,</STRONG> <STRONG>ringed-neck=20
pheasants,</STRONG> and <STRONG>song sparrows</STRONG> were frequently =
heard.=20
The <STRONG>silver maples</STRONG> that line some sections of the river =
were in=20
bud.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Well, that's enough out of me.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Andrew Steeves</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Wolfville, NS</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0305_01C9C842.64C66490--