[NatureNS] Conrads Beach and MArtinique Beach April 25 26

From: "Ulli Hoeger" <uhoeger@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 08:28:26 -0300

Saturday afternoon I headed for Martinique Beach.
Signs regarding the Piping Plovers are up, however nothing is roped off yet.
I spotted 9 Piping Plovers feeding on the lower part of the beach and at
least 3 more resting above the high water line.  Currently they share the
beach with a group of ~12 sanderlings.
Sunday afternoon I stopped by Conrads Beach. Coming down the hill just
past the last house on the left I noticed something tall and white standing in
the marsh.  After pulling over and walking back I found a white egret feeding
in the far dead end pocket of the tidal marsh.  I only had my binoculars and
the bird was a bit to far to see a lot of details. Direct size comparison with a
herring gull right next to it excludes Great Egret, it was much to small.
Posture and jizz exclude Cattle Egret, what leaves a Snowy Egret. Imm.
Little Blue Heron would be another possibility, but it didn't look right for one.
Little Egret would be pushing it.......
I tried to get closer by walking deeper into the marsh, but I wasn't willing to
go deeper than to my knees into the water.

Ulli