[NatureNS] Birds face longer migrations due to climate change

From: "Paul S. Boyer" <psboyer@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 23:00:18 -0400

 15, 2009 at 11:16 PM, Stephen Shaw &lt;
What I find objectionable is reporting speculation as fact.

I would agree that migration is a hard business, and every year
numbers of migratory birds do not survive the journey.

We have been in and out of an estimated 22 major climatic variations
in the last 2.4 million years, including four very major glaciations.
Each time, fauna and flora have had to adjust, and those who were
unable to adjust have presumably been winnowed out long since.  A very
minor change in world temperatures probably will not harm birds and
other wildlife.

If we consider the species which have become extinct since
colonization, in our area there are rather few.  We don't know what
became of the Labrador Duck: it seems to have been uncommon, and the
best guess is that molestation in its nesting area may have been a
factor.  The Ivory-billed Woodpecker lost its habitat due to drainage
of swamps, and destruction of its forest habitat.  The Passenger
Pigeon was killed in huge numbers right at its nesting sites, in a way
which eliminated it, even though it was one of the most common birds
on the Earth.  The Great Auk was also relentlessly persecuted in is
nesting area.

It we were to review all the cases, I think that it would be difficult
to find a single bird species in North America which has gone extinct
through climate variations.  By far more important are factors such
as: persecution while nesting; over-hunting for market; introduction
of alien species (competitors and predators); and destruction of
habitat.  There is also the matter of pesticides, which at one time
threatened the Osprey and the Bald Eagle; but we can report that both
those species have recovered markedly.  (I recently observed an eagle
nest which has been producing young for nine years, located in a
populated neighborhood in city of about 250,000 human inhabitants.)

Of the major threats to bird life which I just listed, all can be
controlled.  Climate cannot be substantially controlled; and the
proposals to attempt to do so are an attempt to administer a medicine
which is far worse than the supposed disease.  Can anyone really
believe that the world will cut carbon-dioxide emissions by 80% within
a decade, as some politicians have announced as a goal?  That is
absurd!  This is what disturbs me: that the global warming issue has
become not only politicized, but that it has become a state-supported,
established ersatz-religion.  It is propagated in the compliant media,
and taught uncritically to students even in early grade-school.

Perhaps I should not worry about this, because the public every now
and then gets beset by some such raging fad; and ultimately, one may
hope, everyone will learn the way things really work, and come back to
reality.  But in the meantime, do we have to make the lessons so darn
expensive?