[NatureNS] smelt runs

From: "Roland McCormick" <roland.mccormick@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 20:12:46 -0300

    style=3D"FONT: 12px Helveti
Gaspereau are called  Kiack in western Nova Scotia. The version here
contains two species that I can't tell apart - gaspereau and  herring.
Smelt are caught in the winter through the ice. They are a much smaller
fish, no relation to gaspereau. Smelt used to be caught in the brook you
cross as you leave Kentville heading towards Wolfville. At one time they
used to have a big run of them there, but I don't know if there is any run
now or not. I don't care for any of them when it comes to eating fish.

Roland.