[NatureNS] AND ...

Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 19:31:05 -0300
From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Unless hens are different from other birds, they don't actually pant.
Panting normally involves the tongue moving in and out to increase
evaporative cooling (done by non-naked mammals) when the animal is too
warm. Birds may hang out their tongues (I must admit to not having
seen this), but they are flapping the tissue making up the floor of
the mouth, the so-called gular region (hence, "gular fluttering"), not
the tongue. None-the-less, this is, as David points out, an exception
to birds generally keeping their mouths closed.

Randy