[NatureNS] Volunteer session Tues (Apr 7) for EAC study of bird-building collisions in Hfx/Dtmth

From: Andrew Horn <aghorn@DAL.CA>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 09:50:36 -0300

--Apple-Mail-3-523915226

Hi all,

Some of you might be interested in volunteering for a new Ecology
Action Centre program looking at how many birds collide with buildings
in downtown Halifax/Dartmouth. Meeting next Tuesday; details below.

Cheers,
Andy Horn
Halifax

Dear Volunteers

What: Volunteer information session for new bird monitoring program.

Where: At the Ecology Action Centre, 2705 Fern Ln.

When: Tuesday April 7th , 2009 at 5 pm.

Why: We currently have no information on how many birds are colliding
with buildings in metro.

Contact: Noel Taussig: birdsareback@ecologyaction.ca   442-0300
http://www.ecologyaction.ca/content/birds

Background:
Birds are faced with a number of threats including habitat
destruction, pollution and pesticide use which threaten their chances
of survival.  The effect of light pollution and reflective windows in
cities has also shown to be fatal to birds as they make their way
north to their summer homes, and south to their wintering grounds. As
many of you are aware, the birds are slowly returning to Nova Scotia.
Birds migrating at night are confused by bright lights and lit
buildings.

We need your help.  Volunteers are needed to monitor the downtown
area early in the morning for bird collisions and casualties during
the spring and fall migration periods.  The purpose of the monitoring
is to determine if the city is a real threat to birds, (as many as ten
million birds collide with buildings each year in Toronto.)  With the
results of the monitoring, we will be able to take the appropriate
action to get developers and building managers to adopt techniques
making buildings more bird friendly. An information session will be
held on Tuesday April 7, 2009, 5 pm at the Ecology Action Centre, 2705
Fern Ln. We are also looking for individuals who would be interested
in monitoring lighthouses. Hope to see you there.

Thanks again for your continued support.

  --
Charlene Boyce Young
Development & Outreach Coordinator

Ecology Action Centre
2705 Fern Lane
Halifax NS
B3K 4L3

902.442.0198 (p)
902.405.3716 (f)
--Apple-Mail-3-523915226

of you might be interested in volunteering for a new Ecology Action =
Centre program looking at how many birds collide with buildings in =
downtown Halifax/Dartmouth. Meeting next Tuesday; details =
Volunteers<br><br>What: Volunteer information session for new bird =
monitoring program.<br><br>Where: At the Ecology Action Centre, 2705 =
currently have no information on how many birds are colliding<br>with =
buildings in metro.<br><br>Contact: Noel Taussig:&nbsp;<a =
href=3D"mailto:birdsareback@ecologyaction.ca">birdsareback@ecologyaction.c=
a</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;442-0300<br><a =
href=3D"http://www.ecologyaction.ca/content/birds">http://www.ecologyactio=
number of threats including habitat<br>destruction, pollution and =
pesticide use which threaten their chances<br>of survival. &nbsp;The =
effect of light pollution and reflective windows in<br>cities has also =
shown to be fatal to birds as they make their way<br>north to their =
summer homes, and south to their wintering grounds. As<br>many of you =
are aware, the birds are slowly returning to Nova Scotia.<br>Birds =
migrating at night are confused by bright lights and =
to monitor the downtown<br>area early in the morning for bird collisions =
and casualties during<br>the spring and fall migration periods. =
&nbsp;The purpose of the monitoring<br>is to determine if the city is a =
real threat to birds, (as many as ten<br>million birds collide with =
buildings each year in Toronto.) &nbsp;With the<br>results of the =
monitoring, we will be able to take the appropriate<br>action to get =
developers and building managers to adopt techniques<br>making buildings =
more bird friendly. An information session will be<br>held on Tuesday =
April 7, 2009, 5 pm at the Ecology Action Centre, 2705<br>Fern Ln. We =
are also looking for individuals who would be interested<br>in =
monitoring lighthouses. Hope to see you there.<br><br>Thanks again for =

--Apple-Mail-3-523915226--