[NatureNS] Snowy Owl in Port Williams

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 22:01:37 -0300

I received a concerned call from a lady in Port Williams (Church St) today,
about the discovery of a very large owl on their farm property when she and
her husband drove into their driveway this afternoon. She and her husband
were fairly sure it was a Snowy Owl but why was it moving around resting
under shrubbery? possibly injured ?  What to do?

I was lucky enough to find Bernard Forsythe home and we headed over there,
Bernard bringing along a large box in case the bird was indeed injured and
needed to be removed to go to DNR in the morning.

It did turn out to be a beautiful Snowy Owl sitting under a shrub - possibly
a first year(?) bird with its heavily marked dark spotted body and dark
crown.  Although Bernard detected the 'elbow' of one of its wings might be
causing it some problem, the owl was not having anything to do with being
captured. It kept ahead of Bernard  indicating it was not incapable of short
bursts of flight, finally heading down towards a nearby small gully.
Hopefully it will manage to feed itself and survive. We are wondering if
this is the same owl that was seen earlier this winter hunting between the
Grand Pre/Long Island 'Guzzle' and Starrs Point.

More "signs of spring"....
Yesterday Bernard had a Fox Sparrow on his Wolfville Ridge property which
pleased him as he has not seen one there for a number of years, and noted
flocks of Red-wing Blackbirds in the Wolfville area.

Today we had a Brown Creeper in our Wolfville Ridge yard.

Cheers,
Judy Tufts

   Judy  Tufts
    Wolfville