[NatureNS] Kingston, NS, XBC - Preliminary report

From: "Wayne P. Neily" <neilyornis@hotmail.com>
To: NatureNS List <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 17:03:46 -0400

--_55b64792-36d6-4aae-81ce-1f6460308110_

Hello all=2C
=20
   Our count on Dec. 20 went quite well=2C with weather varying from cloudy=
 with wind to light snow or rain.  Although there are still about 10 feeder=
 reports to come in=2C we likely have a nearly complete idea of the number =
of species observed.  The number of observers was about the same as last ye=
ar -- 21 in 9 field parties and about 85 at 58 feeders.
=20
   About 61 species were reported (plus 3 pending documentation and 3 Count=
 Week ones).  None were great rarities=2C although a White-crowned Sparrow =
at Middleton Dec. 19=2C would have been a second-ever count record if we ha=
d gotten it on count day.  The other CW ones were a Great Blue Heron seen f=
lying over on 17 Dec. by Ron Rogerson at the Oaklawn Farm Zoo=2C and a Snow=
y Owl seen after count day in Meadowvale by Ted Kajdas.=20
=20
    Of the species seen on Count Day=2C 3 Harlequin Ducks and a Uria sp. at=
 Margaretsville seen by John Belbin and Shirley Harris each represented a 3=
rd record for the 41 Kingston counts.  A Red-bellied Woodpecker that has be=
en doing the feeder circuit near the Annapolis River in central Aylesford w=
as seen at two locations (Gertridges and Youngs)=2C while another at Auburn=
 did not appear on count day. The Margaretsville party had our 5th-ever Raz=
orbill occurrence=2C and  our 6th of Savannah Sparrows was provided by sing=
les in Torbrook Mines (Neily-Lourie party) and Aylesford (Wellwood feeder).=
  Other highlights included 6 Red Crossbills by the Giffins for our 9th rec=
ord=2C at least 8 Northern Cardinals (with several others seen regularly bu=
t not on count day)=2C views of nearly all the expected loons=2C grebes=2C =
and sea ducks=2C 2 Rough-legged Hawks=2C one Great Horned Owl=2C one Brown =
Creeper=2C and a few Horned Larks and White-winged Crossbills.  All the exp=
ected ("A-List") species were seen=2C although some were in low numbers.  A=
lthough final totals are not in=2C few=2C if any=2C were present in record =
numbers.  A complete list will be posted at the Audubon site and sent to pa=
rticipants as soon as it is available.
=20
   Happy New Year!=20
Wayne Neily Tremont=2C Kings Co.=2C Nova Scotia "Think globally=2C Act loca=
lly." - Ren=E9 Dubos=2C 1972.=20

--_55b64792-36d6-4aae-81ce-1f6460308110_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
</head>
Hello all=2C<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B Our count on Dec. 20 went quite well=2C with weather varyi=
ng from cloudy with wind to light snow or&nbsp=3Brain.&nbsp=3B Although the=
re are still about 10 feeder reports to come in=2C we likely have a nearly =
complete idea of the number of species observed.&nbsp=3B The number of obse=
rvers was about the same as last year -- 21 in 9 field parties and about 85=
 at 58 feeders.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B About 61 species were reported (plus 3 pending documentati=
on and 3 Count Week ones).&nbsp=3B None were great rarities=2C although a W=
hite-crowned Sparrow at Middleton Dec. 19=2C would have been a second-ever =
count record if we had gotten it on count day.&nbsp=3B The other CW ones we=
re a Great Blue Heron seen flying over on 17 Dec. by Ron Rogerson at the Oa=
klawn Farm Zoo=2C and a Snowy Owl seen after count day in Meadowvale by Ted=
 Kajdas. <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B Of the species seen on Count Day=2C 3 Harlequin Du=
cks and a <EM>Uria</EM> sp. at Margaretsville seen by John Belbin and Shirl=
ey Harris each represented a 3rd record for the 41 Kingston counts.&nbsp=3B=
 A Red-bellied Woodpecker that has been doing the feeder circuit near the A=
nnapolis River in central Aylesford was seen at two locations (Gertridges a=
nd Youngs)=2C while another at Auburn did not appear on count day.&nbsp=3BT=
he&nbsp=3BMargaretsville party had our 5th-ever Razorbill occurrence=2C and=
&nbsp=3B our 6th of Savannah Sparrows was provided by&nbsp=3Bsingles in Tor=
brook Mines (Neily-Lourie party) and Aylesford (Wellwood feeder).&nbsp=3B O=
ther highlights included 6 Red Crossbills by the Giffins for our 9th record=
=2C&nbsp=3Bat least 8 Northern Cardinals (with several others seen regularl=
y but not on count day)=2C views of nearly all the expected loons=2C grebes=
=2C and sea ducks=2C 2 Rough-legged Hawks=2C one Great Horned Owl=2C one Br=
own Creeper=2C and a few Horned Larks and White-winged Crossbills.&nbsp=3B =
All the expected ("A-List") species were seen=2C although some were in low =
numbers.&nbsp=3B Although final totals are not in=2C few=2C if any=2C were =
present in record numbers.&nbsp=3B A complete list will be posted at the Au=
dubon site and sent to participants as soon as it is available.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B Happy New Year!&nbsp=3B<BR><BR><BR>
<DIV>Wayne Neily <BR>Tremont=2C Kings Co.=2C Nova Scotia <BR><BR>"Think glo=
bally=2C Act locally." - Ren=E9 Dubos=2C 1972. <BR></DIV><BR><BR><br /><hr =
/>Share your holiday memories for free with Windows LiveT Photos. <a href=
=3D'http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowslive/photos.aspx' target=3D'_ne=
w'>Get started now.</a></body>

--_55b64792-36d6-4aae-81ce-1f6460308110_--