[NatureNS] GPS use (was walking distances on CBCs)

Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 11:32:24 -0400
From: "Randy Lauff" <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_90804_9216248.1230046344137

Yes, I routinely use the averaging function...I watch the tenths-of-metres
tick down, and when that levels off, I save the waypoint. The unit reports
tenths-of-metres, I wonder if the implication is that it can differentiate
10 cm (4 inches)? Somehow, I think not.

Randy
2008/12/23 Phil Schappert <philjs@eastlink.ca>

> At 09:37 AM 12/23/2008, you wrote:
>
>> Interesting - that's the unit I use and I've never had better than 2 m
>> accuracy, rarely better than 3 (these values according to the unit itself).
>> I'll have to try it out in the open to see what it says...the vast majority
>> of my GPS work is in the woods.
>>

> My guess is that anything between 4 and 6 feet would register as 2m in
> metric, Randy. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any way to get it to
> show cm. It's likely also important that I generally spend more than a
> couple of minutes in any one location, usually on the order of 10 to 15
> minutes (minimum) and location accuracy often increases with time...do you
> use the averaging function?
>

> Phil
>
> --
>
> Dr. Phil Schappert
>
> 27 Clovis Ave.
> Halifax, NS Canada, B3P 1J3
> Home: 902-404-5679
> Cell: 902-460-8343
>
> www.philschappert.com
> www.aworldforbutterflies.com
>
> "Just let imagination lead, reality will follow through..."
>                                            Michael Hedges

RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.