[NatureNS] Estimating walked distances on CBCs

Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 10:54:10 -0400
From: Phil Schappert <philjs@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

At 09:37 AM 12/23/2008, you wrote:
>Interesting - that's the unit I use and I've never had better than 2
>m accuracy, rarely better than 3 (these values according to the unit
>itself). I'll have to try it out in the open to see what it
>says...the vast majority of my GPS work is in the woods.

My guess is that anything between 4 and 6 feet would register as 2m
in metric, Randy. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any way to
get it to show cm. It's likely also important that I generally spend
more than a couple of minutes in any one location, usually on the
order of 10 to 15 minutes (minimum) and location accuracy often
increases with time...do you use the averaging function?

Phil

--

Dr. Phil Schappert

27 Clovis Ave.
Halifax, NS Canada, B3P 1J3
Home: 902-404-5679
Cell: 902-460-8343

www.philschappert.com
www.aworldforbutterflies.com

"Just let imagination lead, reality will follow through..."
                                             Michael Hedges