[NatureNS] Do chickens belong on bird lists?

Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 10:06:24 -0400
From: "Richard Stern" <sternrichard@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_25001_14173536.1229436384565

Hi,

I don't add chickens, even though I have 3 (a rooster and 2 hens) and when
Liz lets them out, they are free roaming in our yard. I have even been
attacked by the rooster on several occasions! Genetically they are derived
from Red Jungle Fowl, Gallus gallus, which in the wild is native to forests
of Burma and S.China, and in its pure form is endangered.  I doubt if they
would be self-sustaining as a species throughout the world without the help
of humankind, as even in remote villages in the 3rd world they rely on
people to survive. I suppose we cold all add Chicken to our life lists if
people really wanted, but as I can't believe there is a birder who has never
seen a chicken it doesn't matter. BTW, the most abundant bird in the world
has long been listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the Red-billed
Quelea, but if you count all the chickens stuffed into factory barns, and
kept in villages all over the world (there must be hundreds of thousands in
Kings Co, NS, alone), surely that honor must go to the Chicken?

Do mammal enthusiasts count pet dogs, as they are equally related to the
Gray Wolf, Canis lupus?  .......... just a thought,

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

------=_Part_25001_14173536.1229436384565

Hi,<br><br>I don&#39;t add chickens, even though I have 3 (a rooster and 2 =
hens) and when Liz lets them out, they are free roaming in our yard. I have=
 even been attacked by the rooster on several occasions! Genetically they a=
re derived from Red Jungle Fowl, Gallus gallus, which in the wild is native=
 to forests of Burma and S.China, and in its pure form is endangered.&nbsp;=
 I doubt if they would be self-sustaining as a species throughout the world=
 without the help of humankind, as even in remote villages in the 3rd world=
 they rely on people to survive. I suppose we cold all add Chicken to our l=
ife lists if people really wanted, but as I can&#39;t believe there is a bi=
rder who has never seen a chicken it doesn&#39;t matter. BTW, the most abun=
dant bird in the world has long been listed in the Guinness Book of Records=
 as the Red-billed Quelea, but if you count all the chickens stuffed into f=
actory barns, and kept in villages all over the world (there must be hundre=
ds of thousands in Kings Co, NS, alone), surely that honor must go to the C=
hicken?<br>
e Gray Wolf, Canis lupus?&nbsp; .......... just a thought,<br><br>Richard<b=
r><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 9:47 AM, Suzanne T=
ownsend <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:suzanne.townsend@gmail.com"=
204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;"><div>Hi all exper=
t birders,</div>
s adding barnyard chickens (as opposed to prairie chickens, chicken hawks, =
etc.) to their Life List or other lists. Do they?</div>
0<br><br><a href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com">sternrichard@gmail.com</=
a><br>

------=_Part_25001_14173536.1229436384565--