[NatureNS] Re: Hermit (?) Warbler

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 20:39:11 -0400
From: "Richard Stern" <sternrichard@gmail.com>
To: "Don Codling" <dcodling@hfx.eastlink.ca>
Cc: NS-RBA <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>, NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

------=_Part_79223_2931380.1228091951407

Hi,

As I mentioned, I felt that there was too much dark on the face and cheek,
and too much streaking on the flanks, to make this into a pure Hermit. This
was the conclusion reached after looking at Sibley, The Warbler Guide (Dunn
& Co) and NGS. The other 3 of us in our vehicle felt the same. All of us
were relying on the sources we had, but none are familiar with either
species except in high breeding plumage seen in California a long time ago!
Since then, yourself, Ian etc. have pointed out that other sources suggest
I'm probably wrong, and that the bird is certainly also compatible with a
pure F. Hermit.  I hope you're correct, for the sake of listers and for
advancing our collective ID knowledge of these rare westerners! But I still
feel we should really submit everyone's photos to someone out west who is an
expert and familiar with all plumages of Hermit, before drawing definitive
conclusions, with such a rare bird.

Good luck tomorrow--

Richard

--
#################
Dr.Richard Stern,

Richard Stern,
317 Middle Dyke Rd.
Port Williams, NS, Canada
B0P 1T0

sternrichard@gmail.com

------=_Part_79223_2931380.1228091951407

Hi,<br><br>As I mentioned, I felt that there was too much dark on the face and cheek, and too much streaking on the flanks, to make this into a pure Hermit. This was the conclusion reached after looking at Sibley, The Warbler Guide (Dunn &amp; Co) and NGS. The other 3 of us in our vehicle felt the same. All of us were relying on the sources we had, but none are familiar with either species except in high breeding plumage seen in California a long time ago!&nbsp; Since then, yourself, Ian etc. have pointed out that other sources suggest I&#39;m probably wrong, and that the bird is certainly also compatible with a pure F. Hermit.&nbsp; I hope you&#39;re correct, for the sake of listers and for advancing our collective ID knowledge of these rare westerners! But I still feel we should really submit everyone&#39;s photos to someone out west who is an expert and familiar with all plumages of Hermit, before drawing definitive conclusions, with such a rare bird.<br>
Lois and I were looking carefully at your pictures - thank you for posting them! We are hoping the bird will still be there tomorrow when we can go and look for it, weather permitting.<br>
Could you tell us why you and others suspect a Townsend&#39;s cross? We were comparing your pictures to our guides, and the Peterson Warblers Guide on pages 324 and 325 has pictures of a first fall female hermit and a first fall female cross. To our eyes, the Hermit picture is about as exact a match for your pictures as you could ever hope for, while the cross is quite different. The book seems to indicate that crosses should always show some yellow on the breast - it isn&#39;t as clear as it could be about that - and it appears to us that your pictures show a fully white breast. So left to ourselves, we&#39;d look at your pictures and say, &quot;That&#39;s a Hermit&quot;.<br>

We&#39;d appreciate learning what better birders see that points to a cross-breed, not that we have a lot of hope of getting good enough to see such subtle marks, but at least for interest.<br><font color="#888888">
Don Codling<br>
900 Old Sackville Road<br>
Lower Sackville, NS B4E 1R1<br>

------=_Part_79223_2931380.1228091951407--