[NatureNS] Saturday Afternoon walk on Wolfville Watershed

From: "Andrew Steeves" <andrew@gaspereau.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 12:21:06 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_024F_01C95866.4775F0F0

SATURDAY AFTERNOON - WOLFVILLE WATERSHED PRESERVE

If you want kids to come with you into the woods, you have to be =
realistic; they rarely want to get up with the sun. After a morning =
running around the farmer's market with his friends, I convinced my =
eight-year old son to go for a short walk on the Wolfville Watershed =
property. We took a dog (for diversion and to set the pace) and set a =
tangible and desirable (for an eight-year-old) objective - we would walk =
to the concrete dam and see if the little headpond was frozen.

We had a very nice walk, with a few noteworthy highlights. The headpond =
was indeed lightly frozen over, and we had good fun skimming rocks =
across the ice. We saw lots of ravens and chickadees, both of whose =
calls Joseph likes to imitate. We saw a small flock, maybe a dozen or =
more birds, of something sparrow-sized in the tops of some pines, but I =
handed my binoculars to Joseph instead of getting a good enough look to =
identify them myself. I figured it was more important for him to see =
them than for me to know what they were. The highlight, however, was =
finding some very finely preserved deer prints in the mud, and after =
helping Joseph determine which way the deer was headed, following the =
tracks to the base of a wild apple tree, where teeth marks were =
discernible on several frosty apples both on the tree and on the ground.

The exchange of woodscraft (of sorts) went both ways, too, for as we =
walked my son explained to me the plots and casts of several Star Wars =
movies, knowledge that may someday come in handy if I ever get lost in =
some other galaxy (like a movie theatre or a shopping mall) where the =
things I understand are of no consequence.

Andrew Steeves
Wolfville, NS

------=_NextPart_000_024F_01C95866.4775F0F0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>
<P align=3Dleft>SATURDAY AFTERNOON =97 WOLFVILLE WATERSHED PRESERVE</P>
<P align=3Dleft>If you want kids to come with you into the woods, you =
have to be=20
realistic; they rarely want to get up with the sun. After a morning =
running=20
around the farmer=92s market with his friends, I convinced my eight-year =
old son=20
to go for a short walk on the Wolfville Watershed property. We took a =
dog (for=20
diversion and to set the pace) and set a tangible and desirable (for an=20
eight-year-old) objective =97 we would walk to the concrete dam and see =
if the=20
little headpond was frozen.</P>
<P align=3Dleft></P>
<P align=3Dleft>We had a very nice walk, with a few noteworthy =
highlights. The=20
headpond was indeed lightly frozen over, and we had good fun skimming =
rocks=20
across the ice. We saw lots of ravens and chickadees, both of whose =
calls Joseph=20
likes to imitate. We saw a small flock, maybe a dozen or more birds, of=20
something sparrow-sized in the tops of some pines, but I handed my =
binoculars=20
to&nbsp;Joseph instead of getting a good enough look to identify them =
myself. I=20
figured it was more important for him to see them than for me to know =
what they=20
were. The highlight, however, was finding some very finely preserved =
deer prints=20
in the mud, and after helping Joseph determine which way the deer was =
headed,=20
following the tracks to the base of a wild apple tree, where teeth marks =
were=20
discernible on several frosty apples both on the tree and on the =
ground.</P>
<P align=3Dleft></P>
<P align=3Dleft>The exchange of woodscraft (of sorts) went both ways, =
too, for as=20
we walked my son explained to me the plots and casts of several Star =
Wars=20
movies, knowledge that may someday come in handy if I ever get lost in =
some=20
other galaxy (like a movie theatre or a shopping mall) where the things =
I=20
understand are of no consequence.</P>
<P align=3Dleft></P>
<P align=3Dleft>Andrew Steeves<BR>Wolfville, =
NS</FONT></P></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_024F_01C95866.4775F0F0--