[NatureNS] Saturday Morning walk to Little River Falls

From: "Andrew Steeves" <andrew@gaspereau.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 11:55:14 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0240_01C95862.AA5D2480

SATURDAY MORNING - LITTLE RIVER FALLS

I couldn't scare anyone else out of bed to come with me, so I settled on =
one of the dogs for company and drove up on the south mountain for a =
walk into Little River Falls. It was -8=B0 and calm with the sun =
creeping up. Frost is finally settling into the ground, making the wet =
woods road under my feet cry CRACK-CRACK-CRACK and making me despair of =
seeing anything much in the woods until I could get off the road and =
onto the leaf litter. I saw lots of the usual suspects like CHICKADEES, =
RAVENS. The dog flushed two RUFFED GROUSE. Most of the activity was high =
up in the tree tops where the first rays of sun were reaching in and =
warming some birds to song, and there were a few things which I saw that =
I knew only that I did not know exactly what it was. In the ground, =
frozen in the mud and what remained of the snowdrifts, some big COYOTE =
tracks, with a few days old scat full of what looked like rabbit fur.

There's a spot on this walk where hardwoods dominate and where I often =
encounter woodpeckers. I could hear one pecking as I approached and =
started hunting for it, but after five minutes of intermittently =
listening and changing my position, I still couldn't see it. Where the =
heck was it? The woods can bounce sound in funny ways on a cold morning. =
I let my binoculars hang round my neck and shoved my hands into my coat =
pockets to warm my fingers as I listened. I leaned back against a =
battered spruce tree. When I did, the pecking I was hearing with my ears =
also vibrated in my shoulder. Huh? My woodpecker was in the very tree I =
was leaning against. I walked back a ways and looked up, and I could see =
movement up in the very crown of the tree where the first rays of the =
sun were striking the spruce. I never did get a clean look at it, so I =
can's say which species it was.

Everywhere the earth was wet and turned-up along the road, the frost had =
pushed up delicate, vegetable-like crystalline fibers of ice, like =
finely spun glass. Their shape, stance and crook of these formations =
reminded me of Indian Pipe, and in the dawn light they took on an =
otherworldly quality. When you break them off with your hands, you can =
separate the fine strings of ice momentarily before everything collapses =
in the heat of your fingers.

Andrew Steeves
Wolfville, NS

------=_NextPart_000_0240_01C95862.AA5D2480

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<P align=3Dleft>SATURDAY MORNING =97 LITTLE RIVER FALLS</P>
<P align=3Dleft>I couldn=92t scare anyone else out of bed to come with =
me, so I=20
settled on one of the dogs for company and drove up on the south =
mountain for a=20
walk into Little River Falls. It was =968=B0 and calm with the sun =
creeping up.=20
Frost is finally settling into the ground, making the wet woods road =
under my=20
feet cry CRACK-CRACK-CRACK and making me despair of seeing anything much =
in the=20
woods until I could get off the road and onto the leaf litter. I saw =
lots of the=20
usual suspects like CHICKADEES, RAVENS. The dog flushed two RUFFED =
GROUSE. Most=20
of the activity was high up in the tree tops where the first rays of sun =
were=20
reaching in and warming some birds to song, and there were a few things =
which I=20
saw that I knew only that I did not know exactly what it was. In the =
ground,=20
frozen in the mud and&nbsp;what remained of the snowdrifts,&nbsp;some =
big COYOTE=20
tracks, with a few days old scat full of what looked like rabbit =
fur.</P>
<P align=3Dleft></P>
<P align=3Dleft>There=92s a spot on this walk where hardwoods dominate =
and where I=20
often encounter woodpeckers. I could hear one pecking as&nbsp;I =
approached and=20
started hunting for it, but after five minutes of intermittently =
listening and=20
changing my position, I still couldn=92t see it. Where the heck was it? =
The woods=20
can bounce sound in funny ways on a cold morning. I let my binoculars =
hang round=20
my neck and shoved my hands into my coat pockets to warm my fingers as I =

listened. I leaned back against a battered spruce tree. When I =
did,&nbsp;the=20
pecking&nbsp;I was hearing with my ears&nbsp;also vibrated in my =
shoulder. Huh?=20
My woodpecker was in the very tree I was leaning against. I walked back =
a ways=20
and looked up, and I could see movement up in the very crown of the tree =
where=20
the first rays of the sun were striking the spruce. I never did get a =
clean look=20
at it, so I can=92s say which species it was.</P>
<P align=3Dleft></P>
<P align=3Dleft>Everywhere the earth was wet and turned-up along the =
road, the=20
frost had pushed up delicate, vegetable-like crystalline fibers of ice,=20
like&nbsp;finely spun glass. Their shape, stance and crook of these =
formations=20
reminded me of Indian Pipe, and in the dawn light they took on an =
otherworldly=20
quality. When you break them off with your hands, you can separate the =
fine=20
strings of ice momentarily before everything collapses in the heat of =
your=20
fingers.</P>
<P align=3Dleft></P>
<P align=3Dleft>Andrew Steeves<BR>Wolfville, NS</P></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0240_01C95862.AA5D2480--