[NatureNS] More on Snowy Owls

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 18:29:32 -0400

 Wednesday, November 26, 2008, 6:46 PM
Jean Iron

 Snowy Owls are being seen south of the Arctic in high numbers this
 fall. Most of the early arriving owls have been first winter males
 hatched last summer. Reports last summer indicated that lemming
 numbers were high across the Eastern Canadian Arctic from
 Churchill, Manitoba, to Bylot Island, Nunavut.

 We previously reported that the cause of the Snowy Owl
 flight was a lemming crash in the Eastern Arctic. However, we've had
 recent correspondence indicating the cause of the flight was a
 very good breeding season, which produced high numbers of young Snowy
 Owls. Gilles Gauthier and his PhD student Jean-Francois Therrien
 of Laval University in Quebec City report that based on "the
 high abundance of lemmings we observed on Bylot Island and at all sites we
 visited on Baffin Island last summer, we predicted that the abundance
 of Snowy Owls should be very high this winter (in the south).
 Indeed, some analyses made by Jean-Francois using the Christmas Bird
 Count data showed a good correlation between the abundance of lemmings
 on Bylot Island and the number of owls observed the following winter
 in Quebec and Ontario for the period 1993 - 2007. So far, our
 prediction is nicely upheld."

 So was there also a lemming crash that is contributing to
 the Snowy flight? Bruce Di Labio did environmental surveys on
 southern Baffin Island in August and in central/southern Baffin in
 September and October. He reports that very few lemmings were caught in
 live traps. This might be an indication of a lemming decline in
 September and October when most researchers were not in the Arctic.
 Lemmings normally crash in fall and winter after a period of high
 abundance and cycles are usually synchronous across the Eastern Arctic.

 The Snowy Owl flight this fall and winter could be caused
 solely by high numbers of young being fledged this summer due to high
 lemming populations. Or is the flight the result of a good breeding
 year and a subsequent decline in lemming numbers this fall? If a
 large number of adult Snowy Owls come south this winter then we'll
 be more confident in saying that a lemming crash has occurred.
 We'll post updates as we get new information.

 Baffin Island lies west of Greenland and is the largest
 island in the Canadian Arctic. Bylot Island (lat 73 deg, long 78 deg) is
 about 3000 km (1865 mi) north of Toronto. Bylot is much smaller than
 Baffin. It is at the northeastern tip of Baffin on Lancaster Sound
 "Northwest Passage".

 Acknowledgements: We thank Ken Abraham, Bruce Di Labio,
 Bruce Falls, Gilles Gauthier, Jean-Francois Therrien, and Michel
 Gosselin for information and discussions about lemmings and Snowy Owls.

 Ron Pittaway and Jean Iron    jeaniron@sympatico.ca
Toronto and Minden ON
_