[NatureNS] Birds Today and other observations

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 00:28:50 +0000

--_ebc631b7-5b53-4240-b0b9-2ba36f16cdc3_

Pat Gladman and I did our beaches today for the Maritime Beached Bird surve=
ys.  Of note at Princes's Inlet Drive were three red-throated loons and an =
additional two off of Westhaver Beach.
=20
Other birds of note: =20
=20
Long-tailed Duck 3 off of Mader's Cove.  I think this is a little early for=
 this species.  The experts can correct me if I'm wrong.
=20
Shellfish notation:  I found a scallop=2C a full one with the mussel intact=
 on Westhaver Beach.  I suspect that it was swept in with the last storm an=
d therefore there must be a scallop bed somewhere out off of the beach at t=
he mouth to Mahone Bay.
=20
Razor Clam shells off of Westhaver Beach and also off of Bachman's Beach=2C=
 therefore there must be goodly numbers of that species there.
=20
Codium in good numbers off of Bachman's Beach.  This is the invasive seawee=
d.
=20
Back to the birds=2C 39 hooded mergansers off Second Peninsula.  Eleven red=
-breasted mergansers.  They must be starting to return as I've not found an=
y other than one or two for a long time.
=20
A Great Blue Heron off Second Peninsula.  Notable as there are few around t=
his area now and this was a juvenile bird.  It still had the fuzzy juvenile=
 plumage along the bottomside and noticeable also in the head area.
=20
James R. Hirtle
East LaHave

--_ebc631b7-5b53-4240-b0b9-2ba36f16cdc3_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
</head>
Pat Gladman and I did our beaches today for the Maritime Beached Bird surve=
ys.&nbsp=3B Of note at Princes's Inlet Drive were three red-throated loons =
and an additional two off of Westhaver Beach.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Other birds of note:&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Long-tailed Duck 3 off of Mader's Cove.&nbsp=3B I think this is a little ea=
rly for this species.&nbsp=3B The experts can correct me if I'm wrong.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Shellfish notation:&nbsp=3B I found a scallop=2C a full one with the mussel=
 intact on Westhaver Beach.&nbsp=3B I suspect that it was swept in with the=
 last storm and therefore there must be a scallop bed somewhere out off of =
the beach at the mouth to Mahone Bay.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Razor Clam shells off of Westhaver Beach and also off of Bachman's Beach=2C=
 therefore there must be goodly numbers of that species there.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Codium in good numbers off of Bachman's Beach.&nbsp=3B This is the invasive=
 seaweed.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Back to the birds=2C 39 hooded mergansers off Second Peninsula.&nbsp=3B Ele=
ven red-breasted mergansers.&nbsp=3B They must be starting to return as I'v=
e not found any other than one or two for a long time.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
A Great Blue Heron off Second Peninsula.&nbsp=3B Notable as there are few a=
round this area now and this was a juvenile bird.&nbsp=3B It still had the =
fuzzy juvenile plumage&nbsp=3Balong the bottomside and noticeable also in t=
he head area.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
East LaHave<RTE_TEXT></RTE_TEXT><BR><br /><hr />Turn email contacts into bu=
ddies=2C and you could win. <a href=3D'http://www.messengerbuddies.ca/?ocid=
=3DBUDDYOMATICENCA22' target=3D'_new'>Enter today.</a></body>

--_ebc631b7-5b53-4240-b0b9-2ba36f16cdc3_--