[NatureNS] Booby mystery solved!

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 18:36:43 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0114_01C94687.F105FAC0

Hi Carl=20

Wow, congrats to you and David Tudor... Was it still in the Balancing =
rock area where you finally found the booby late this afternoon?  And is =
it a new record for Nova Scotia?   Maybe Ian McLaren, Lance L. or =
someone else could enlighten us further on this bird?  Many thanks, liz  =

Answer is:" MASKED BOOBY"
Late this afternoon, my phone rang and a friend who I had talked to =
earlier found the bird. He was hunting for woodcock. I had only a minute =
to spare, so grabbed David [Tudor] and we jumped on the car ferry with =
seconds to spare. We met up with my friend and he led us 300 meters into =
the woods, very near the original siting. The bird was sitting on the =
ground. I at first thought it was a gannet but noticed it was smaller =
and that it had no yellow on the head. Dark bluish around the eyes. It =
was very alert. I grabbed it by the beak before it beaked me, and =
wrapped it up in my oil jacket. We carried it out to the truck. My =
instinct was to release it as soon as possible, so we took it to Flour =
Cove and put it in the water. It paddled away looking very content. No =
doubt it was an adult Masked Booby. The black tail and yellowish bill =
were also a giveaway. My brain said Gannet, and I thought I was looking =
for a blue footed booby, but my senses kicked in and looked at the field =
marks.

Perserverence sometimes pay off. I am most happy for David because he =
was distraught at reporting the sighting and that so many people were =
searching for it to no avail. He will sleep good tonight.

Alas, because I was in such a rush, no camera. Sorry.

The bonus was 19 very noisy harlequin ducks at Flour Cove where we =
released the Booby.

Quite a day,

Carl Haycock
Westport, Brier island

------=_NextPart_000_0114_01C94687.F105FAC0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Hi Carl </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Wow, congrats to you and David Tudor... Was it=20
still&nbsp;in the Balancing rock area where&nbsp;you finally found the =
booby=20
late this afternoon?&nbsp;&nbsp;And is it a new record for Nova =
Scotia?&nbsp;=20
&nbsp;Maybe Ian McLaren, Lance L.&nbsp;or someone else could enlighten =
us=20
further on this bird?&nbsp; Many thanks, liz&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>................</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Answer is:" MASKED BOOBY"</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></DIV><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Late this afternoon, my phone rang and =
a friend who=20
I had talked to earlier found the bird. He was hunting for woodcock. I =
had only=20
a minute to spare, so grabbed David [Tudor]&nbsp;and we jumped on the=20
car&nbsp;ferry with seconds to spare. We met up with my friend and he =
led us 300=20
meters into the woods, very near the original siting. The bird was =
sitting on=20
the ground. I at first thought it was a gannet but noticed it was =
smaller and=20
that&nbsp;it had no yellow on the head. Dark bluish around the eyes. It =
was very=20
alert. I grabbed it by the beak before it beaked me, and wrapped it up =
in my oil=20
jacket. We carried it out to the truck. My instinct was to release it as =
soon as=20
possible, so we took it to Flour Cove and put it in the water. It =
paddled away=20
looking very content. No doubt it was an adult&nbsp;Masked Booby. The =
black tail=20
and yellowish bill were also a giveaway. My brain said Gannet, and I =
thought I=20
was looking for a blue footed booby, but my senses kicked in and looked =
at the=20
field marks.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Perserverence sometimes pay off. I am =
most happy=20
for David because he was distraught at reporting the sighting and that =
so many=20
people were searching for it to no avail. He will sleep good=20
tonight.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Alas, because I was in such a rush, no =
camera.=20
Sorry.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The bonus was 19 very =
noisy&nbsp;harlequin ducks at=20
Flour Cove where we released the Booby.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Quite a day,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Carl Haycock</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Westport, Brier island</FONT></DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_0114_01C94687.F105FAC0--