[NatureNS] Booby mystery solved!

From: "Carl Haycock" <foggy@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 17:47:18 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C94681.09D131C0

Answer is:" MASKED BOOBY"

David Tudor(who first saw the bird last night and reported it to me) and =
I spent 4 hours this morning searching the road ditches and fields where =
he first saw the bird on Long Island last night. Clarence Stevens, =
Fulton Lavender and another birder met up with us and we all searched. I =
alerted several locals who thought we were looking for a dead deer. I =
even had my Bernese Mountain Dog sniffing for the bird.

Alas, at noon we gave up, and David was very disappointed. We went home.

Late this afternoon, my phone rang and a friend who I had talked to =
earlier found the bird. He was hunting for woodcock. I had only a minute =
to spare, so grabbed David and we jumped on the car ferry with seconds =
to spare. We met up with my friend and he led us 300 meters into the =
woods, very near the original siting. The bird was sitting on the =
ground. I at first thought it was a gannet but noticed it was smaller =
and that it had no yellow on the head. Dark bluish around the eyes. It =
was very alert. I grabbed it by the beak before it beaked me, and =
wrapped it up in my oil jacket. We carried it out to the truck. My =
instinct was to release it as soon as possible, so we took it to Flour =
Cove and put it in the water. It paddled away looking very content. No =
doubt it was an adult Masked Booby. The black tail and yellowish bill =
were also a giveaway. My brain said Gannet, and I thought I was looking =
for a blue footed booby, but my senses kicked in and looked at the field =
marks.

Perserverence sometimes pay off. I am most happy for David because he =
was distraught at reporting the sighting and that so many people were =
searching for it to no avail. He will sleep good tonight.

Alas, because I was in such a rush, no camera. Sorry.

The bonus was 19 very noisy harlequin ducks at Flour Cove where we =
released the Booby.

Quite a day,

Carl Haycock
Westport, Brier island

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C94681.09D131C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Answer is:" MASKED BOOBY"</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>David Tudor(who first saw the bird last =
night and=20
reported it to me) and I spent 4 hours this morning searching the road =
ditches=20
and fields where he first saw the bird on Long Island last =
night.&nbsp;Clarence=20
Stevens, Fulton Lavender and another birder met up with us and we all=20
searched.&nbsp;I alerted several locals who thought we were looking for =
a dead=20
deer. I even had my Bernese Mountain Dog sniffing for the =
bird.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Alas, at noon we gave up, and David was =
very=20
disappointed.&nbsp;We went home.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Late this afternoon, my phone rang and =
a friend who=20
I had talked to earlier found the bird. He was hunting for woodcock. I =
had only=20
a minute to spare, so grabbed David and we jumped on the car&nbsp;ferry =
with=20
seconds to spare. We met up with my friend and he led us 300 meters into =
the=20
woods, very near the original siting. The bird was sitting on the =
ground. I at=20
first thought it was a gannet but noticed it was smaller and =
that&nbsp;it had no=20
yellow on the head. Dark bluish around the eyes. It was very alert. I =
grabbed it=20
by the beak before it beaked me, and wrapped it up in my oil jacket. We =
carried=20
it out to the truck. My instinct was to release it as soon as possible, =
so we=20
took it to Flour Cove and put it in the water. It paddled away looking =
very=20
content. No doubt it was an adult&nbsp;Masked Booby. The black tail and=20
yellowish bill were also a giveaway. My brain said Gannet, and I thought =
I was=20
looking for a blue footed booby, but my senses kicked in and looked at =
the field=20
marks.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Perserverence sometimes pay off. I am =
most happy=20
for David because he was distraught at reporting the sighting and that =
so many=20
people were searching for it to no avail. He will sleep good=20
tonight.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Alas, because I was in such a rush, no =
camera.=20
Sorry.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The bonus was 19 very =
noisy&nbsp;harlequin ducks at=20
Flour Cove where we released the Booby.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Quite a day,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Carl Haycock</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Westport, Brier island</FONT></DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C94681.09D131C0--