[NatureNS] Food for thought?

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 01:45:37 +0000

--_3df1b68e-0872-47bd-ab8e-cff510ac3751_

Hi all:
=20
An interesting question:  Why would American crows suddenly change their ro=
ute of travel after weeks of taking the same flight path towards their wint=
er roost?  A watcher of them flying over every night in Rhodes Corner=2C on=
 their way to the roost=2C suddenly noticed that the flight path has change=
d.  This only occurred since deer season started.   She postulates that the=
re is some correlation.   An interesting concept=2C but one I would assume =
hard to prove.  Any other ideas why suddenly the route of travel might have=
 changed.
=20
My other question pertains to ornamental crab apples.  I have a person who =
has had American robins come every winter to clean up or feed on her crab a=
pples.  This year the robins have come now and it is real early.  She wonde=
rs why all of a sudden they have invaded months sooner.  I seem to remember=
 reading that the crab apples need to freeze before most birds will feed on=
 them.  Is there any merit to this or is this just a falacy.  I cannot find=
 any documentation which suggests such.  Anyhow=2C it could just be the tim=
ing of a huge flight of robins this year.  I remember years ago on the Pubn=
ico field trips that we would see thousands of robins flying over around Th=
anksgiving.  Anyhow=2C any suggestions on this topic are most welcome.
=20
James R. Hirtle
East LaHave
=20
 =20

--_3df1b68e-0872-47bd-ab8e-cff510ac3751_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt=3B
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
An interesting question:&nbsp=3B Why would American crows suddenly change t=
heir route of travel after weeks of taking the same flight path towards the=
ir winter roost?&nbsp=3B A watcher of them flying over every night in Rhode=
s Corner=2C on their way to the roost=2C suddenly noticed that the flight p=
ath has changed.&nbsp=3B This only occurred since deer season started.&nbsp=
=3B&nbsp=3B She postulates that there is some&nbsp=3Bcorrelation.&nbsp=3B&n=
bsp=3B An interesting concept=2C but one I would assume hard to prove.&nbsp=
=3B Any other ideas why suddenly the route of travel might have changed.<BR=

&nbsp=3B<BR>
My other question pertains to ornamental crab apples.&nbsp=3B I have a pers=
on who has had American robins come every winter to clean up or feed on her=
 crab apples.&nbsp=3B This year&nbsp=3Bthe robins have come now and it is r=
eal early.&nbsp=3B She wonders why all of a sudden they have invaded months=
 sooner.&nbsp=3B I seem to remember reading that the crab apples need to fr=
eeze before most birds will feed on them.&nbsp=3B Is there any merit to thi=
s or is this just a falacy.&nbsp=3B I cannot find any documentation which s=
uggests such.&nbsp=3B Anyhow=2C it could just be the timing of a huge fligh=
t of robins this year.&nbsp=3B I remember years ago on the Pubnico field tr=
ips that we would see thousands of robins flying over around Thanksgiving.&=
nbsp=3B Anyhow=2C any suggestions on this topic are most welcome.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
East LaHave<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>

--_3df1b68e-0872-47bd-ab8e-cff510ac3751_--