[NatureNS] Tufted Titmouse: our record

Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 20:17:56 -0400
From: Brian Dalzell <aythya@nb.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Tufted Titmouse is now nesting in New Brunswick, with nest-building and
fledged young observed in St. Andrews this year.  Given the great
aversion that this species has with over-water crossings  it is a
miracle one made it Nova Scotia across the Gulf of Maine back in 1991.
Last time I heard, they still had not made it to Block Island, Rhode
Island or Marthas Vinyard, Massachusetts, despite these islands being
only a few miles offshore.  The one record for the latter location was
of cross-breeding with Black-capped Chickadee!   That the species could
have done so again (an ocean crossing to NS), and made it all the way to
Halifax is nothing short of a miracle.  It is unlikely to get to NS
anytime soon overland, as New Brunswick just had its first records east
of the Saint John River only last fall.