[NatureNS] Canso Rare birds

From: "Terri Crane" <terri.crane@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>, <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 19:48:40 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_005A_01C939FF.57D1F0F0

Today while giving instructions to my daughter Kathleen in Sackville =
(HRM) on how to care for a Dovekie she retrieved from her neighbours =
yard. (she released it sucessfully in the Bedford Basin early this =
evening)
I had a brief visit from a Western Tanager. As I stood in the window it =
flew through the yard and landed on my covered feeder. I was sure of the =
ID and was able to grab my Binos and view the two strong wing bars and =
petite "Tanager" bill of this yellow bird with black wings. When I =
retreived my camera it was just over the fence and the birds all got =
spooked and everything left. I didn't take time to note any red on the =
face of this, what appeared to be a nonbreading adult male. As appears =
on pg 463 of the large Sibley.

A short while later I was keeping a look out for a possible return and =
was delighted to have the (M) RB Woodpecker return for a feeding =
session. BUT very surprised when a nonbreading adult (M) Scarlet Tanager =
came in for a short visit. This time I was able to get some photos =
although not much more than ID shots.

I had my fingers crossed for the Summer to put in a show to give a =
repeat performance of all three species in the yard on the same day.

MAY BE TOMORROW

Tom K
Canso

------=_NextPart_000_005A_01C939FF.57D1F0F0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Today while giving&nbsp;instructions to =
my daughter=20
Kathleen in Sackville (HRM) on how to care for a Dovekie she retrieved =
from her=20
neighbours yard. (she released it sucessfully in the Bedford Basin early =
this=20
evening)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I had a brief visit&nbsp;from a Western =
Tanager. As=20
I stood in the window it flew through the yard and landed on my covered =
feeder.=20
I was sure of the ID and was able to grab my Binos and view the two =
strong wing=20
bars and petite "Tanager" bill of this yellow bird with black wings. =
When I=20
retreived my camera it was just over the fence and the birds all got =
spooked and=20
everything left. I didn't take time to note any red on the face of this, =
what=20
appeared to be a nonbreading adult male. As appears on pg 463 of the =
large=20
Sibley.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>A short while later I was keeping a =
look out for a=20
possible return and was delighted to have the (M) RB Woodpecker return =
for a=20
feeding session. BUT very surprised when a nonbreading adult (M) Scarlet =
Tanager=20
came in for a short visit. This time I was able to get some photos =
although not=20
much more than ID shots.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I had my fingers crossed for the Summer =
to put in a=20
show to give a repeat performance of all three species in the yard on =
the same=20
day.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>MAY BE TOMORROW</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Tom K</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Canso</FONT></DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_005A_01C939FF.57D1F0F0--