[NatureNS] Folding canoes and kayaks

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 18:15:40 -0300
From: Eleanor Lindsay <kelindsay@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

&lt;/span&gt;E-mail
Several good makes of folding kayak are available in Canada, two of
which I am particularly familiar with - Folboats (which have been made
since the 1930-40s and the newer Feathercraft. (Both of these are
'Googleable')
I have had a Folbot in the past and presently have a Feathercraft, which
I personally prefer; it has more graceful lines and folds up into a
backpack. I think they are great; apart from being easier and lighter to
handle, I like the sense of being really in touch with the elements as I
feels the water rippling against the sides....
A word of caution about assembly times; while I can dismantle my
Feathercraft in approx 10 minutes, I have never in the past 10 years
achieved the '15 minute assembly time' they claim - so its perhaps best
not to always take these time claims too literally - but that is no
deterrent to the paddling enjoyment once you work out your personal
best! I have friends who have an inflatable two-man kayak and we all set
out for a distant paddle with two kayaks in a small Toyota!!!

Eleanor Lindsay

Seabright, St Margarets Bay