[NatureNS] Automated Twitching

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 18:25:48 -0300
From: Don MacNeill <donmacneill@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

We had a discussion a while ago about "countable" sightings.  I think we
decided at the time that if the actual light rays were reflected from the
bird through binoculars and scopes to your eyes, then it was countable.  The
extreme of watching a live webcam in Africa on your computer at home was
not.  From this I would assume that seeing the bird through the viewfinder
of your camera is O.K. while seeing it on the camera's screen is not.  Your
networking solution may not be feasible as it would convert light rays to
electronic images.

It would be similar to taking a digital video of a bird and taking it home
for others to see.

It would, of course allow others to see the bird without counting it and
might even give an indication of its location so that one could set ones
scope on it. (Jim...should "ones" have an apostrophe?).

I like the image recognition aspect.  Even if it could record all of the
items we are supposed to be looking at but forget to do (leg colour, bill
size and shape, etc., etc.) it would be useful.  We could then look it up in
our books later.

Don

Don MacNeill
donmacneill@eastlink.ca