[NatureNS] Birds Grand Pre - possible Cooper's Hawk

From: Luke DeCicco <akswallow@hotmail.com>
To: NS-RBA NS-RBA <ns-rba@yahoogroups.com>,
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 16:15:28 -0800

Hello,
Today I finally got out birding for a little bit along the dykes out towards Grand Pre.  Birds of note were: Lesser Black-backed Gull (1 adult), American Golden-Plover (flock of 32 in the fields, this seems late and a high number, but I really don't know), lots of raptors around including 1 male Northern Harrier, 1 Merlin, 10-15 Red-tailed Hawks, 6-8 Bald Eagles, 1 Sharp-shinned Hawk and 1 likely Cooper's Hawk (see below description), also a reasonable movement of passerines including American Robin (75-100), Dark-eyed Junco (30-40), a few White-throated Sparrows and 2 Myrtle Warblers.  The likely Coopers was spotted soaring over the railroad where Dyke Road crosses it.  It appeared quite large (I know, horrible field mark, but just to note), the tail didn't seem abnormally rounded, but the leading edge of the wings was straight, none of the bent forward appearance of Sharp-shinned Hawks, the wing beat seemed slower, and it was soaring a lot with fewer flaps than I would expect of a Sharp-shinned, the head also appeared quite large not small as in a Sharp-shinned, this individual was also an adult.  When I first caught a glimpse of this bird through the tree tops I thought it to be a Goshawk on first glance, before I got my bins on it or a clear view.  I was unable to obtain any photos of this bird unfortunately, one of the downfalls of digiscoping or digibinning.
That's all for now,
Bird on,
Luke DeCicco
Acadia