[NatureNS] Nova Scotia's nature and the federal election

Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 08:21:39 -0400
From: "Paul S. Boyer" <psboyer@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_IK1mJoUip48ndSIw7xc4sA)

Another article on Norway's carbon tax points out that since the =20
inception of this tax, Norway's carbon footprint has increased 14%.  =20
Yet another article says that it has decreased 14%, but only 2% of the =20=

decrease is attributable to the tax =
[http://ideas.repec.org/p/ssb/dispap/337.html=20
].  Meanwhile, other countries without a carbon tax have had their =20
footprint decrease (notably the USA).  The Wall Street Journal =20
reported on Tuesday that the carbon footprint in Norway has increased =20=

15% since the tax was instituted =
[http://blogs.wsj.com/environmentalcapital/2008/09/30/emissions-impossible=
-norway-taxes-carbon-emissions-rise/=20
].  According to the article, Norwegians are buying more, bigger, and =20=

more expensive cars, and are driving more.  They like the lifestyle.  =20=

(I think joie de vivre in Norwegian is glede for liv.)  They are doing =20=

fine, with much petroleum production, and one of the highest wealth-=20
levels in the world.  Their new tax probably has essentially no =20
practical or measurable effect on world climatic conditions =20
whatsoever, and the policy is not transferable to other countries =20
whose situations may be quite different.  However, although the tax is =20=

reportedly highly unpopular among some (see "Carbon tax tops Norway =20
grievances" at =
http://www.scandoil.com/moxie-bm2/financial/politics_/carbon-tax-tops-list=
-of-norway.shtml)=20
, it must make others satisfied, perhaps emotionally =97 and anyway, =20
they are enjoying life in spite of it.  Good for them!

Politicians generally like new taxes.  Whether taxes ever do any good =20=

is a matter of debate, but any rationale will suffice.  When taxes are =20=

openly proposed, the poison is usually sugar-coated in some way: the =20
benefit will help some worthy goal, or it will only hurt someone we =20
really don't like anyway (such as the envied rich, or corporations).  =20=

I have no idea why otherwise kindly and intelligent people fall for =20
these scams so readily.  Do we think that government is a god that =20
should be in charge of all our activities in every detail, and should =20=

take and give according to some divine wisdom?

In the old days, various deities were thought to control the weather.  =20=

I think that Thor was one of them.  Now we want government to take =20
charge, and we get quite worked up and emotional against the imagined =20=

heretics who are thought to be responsible for climatic =20
inconveniences, and we become very devout toward the good spirits who =20=

will rescue us if we only will ritualistically offer them the proper, =20=

heartfelt obeisance on election day.

By the way, I chuckled at the phrase "being clobbered by market =20
forces."  That is just a variant of "being mugged by reality."  I =20
suspect all of us, deep down, resent practical restraints.

=97PSB

On 1 Oct 2008, at 6:41 PM, David & Alison Webster wrote:

> [...]

>     A small private Canadian company (don't recall name) has for =20
> some years had a pilot scale microbial procedure for producing =20
> ethanol from any carbon rich material but had to go to Germany and =20
> the US to obtain government funding to build a commercial scale =20
> plant (don't know how this turned out and funding may have dried up).
>
>   Plasco Energy Group Inc, another small privately held company, is =20=

> poised to turn Red Deer trash into electrical power.
>
>   Somewhere recently I read that killing plant manure, a difficult =20
> waste disposal problem, has taken a new shine as a potential source =20=

> of methane (for energy production) and the idea is again emerging =20
> that even relatively small livestock operations can exploit methane =20=

> to save on energy costs.
>
>   Any Popular Science or Popular Mechanics magazine from ~1978 =20
> sounds contemporary; same approaches, older technology. And when the =20=

> petrochemical industry felt threatened they increased production =20
> enough to put these alternative energy companies out of business.
>
>   Without the shelter provided by a carbon tax there is a danger =20
> that the mistakes of 40 years ago will be repeated and all these =20
> positive developments, for the environment (and countless others), =20
> will end up bankrupt.
>
> Yt, DW
>
> Rob Woods wrote:
>
>> Just to give a different perspective on the the upcoming election =20
>> here are my choices:
>>

>> As person who has long enjoyed the outdoors, recycles, farms as =20
>> organically as possible and until recently on the board of =20
>> directors of  a Windfield company I would like to vote green.
>>

>> As a Farmer any carbon taxes on fuel scares the living daylights =20
>> out of me as cash flows will be adversely affected and no guarentee =20=

>> that I can recoupe the additional costs or qualify for the programs =20=

>> created to help farmers. (I do not need new farm equipment at this =20=

>> time nor does the Farmer I rent equipment from either as the =20
>> capital cost is too great vs the fuel and efficiency savings).
>>

>> My sitting representative falsely accused the CEO of my current =20
>> employer of insider trading when he himself sent emails regarding =20
>> changes in income trusts before it was publicly announced.
>>

>> A conservative party whose tax policies help my middle class pocket =20=

>> book but also stopped the sale/split of my employer (which most =20
>> employees saw as beneficial). The conservatives are also not =20
>> supportive of the environmental innitiatives that I would like to =20
>> see.
>>

>> And the NDP party whose heart is in the right place but I think =20
>> would financially tax the country into an economic crash to cover =20
>> all the increased spending.
>>

>> Thus 5 choices and no clear answer. An independant would look =20
>> really good right now (Mr Casey, please switch ridings).

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">Another article on Norway's =
carbon tax points out that since the inception of this tax, Norway's =
carbon footprint has increased 14%. &nbsp;Yet another article says that =
it has decreased 14%, but only 2% of the decrease is attributable to the =
tax [<a =
href=3D"http://ideas.repec.org/p/ssb/dispap/337.html">http://ideas.repec.o=
rg/p/ssb/dispap/337.html</a>]. &nbsp;Meanwhile, other countries without =
a carbon tax have had their footprint decrease (notably the USA). =
&nbsp;The <i>Wall Street Journal</i> reported on Tuesday that the carbon =
footprint in Norway has increased 15% since the tax was instituted [<a =
href=3D"http://blogs.wsj.com/environmentalcapital/2008/09/30/emissions-imp=
ossible-norway-taxes-carbon-emissions-rise/">http://blogs.wsj.com/environm=
entalcapital/2008/09/30/emissions-impossible-norway-taxes-carbon-emissions=
-rise/</a>]. &nbsp;According to the article, Norwegians are buying more, =
bigger, and more expensive cars, and are driving more. &nbsp;They like =
the lifestyle. &nbsp;(I think <i>joie de vivre</i> in Norwegian is =
<i>glede for liv</i>.) &nbsp;They are doing fine, with much petroleum =
production, and one of the highest wealth-levels in the world. =
&nbsp;Their new tax probably has essentially no practical or measurable =
effect on world climatic conditions whatsoever, and the policy is not =
transferable to other countries whose situations may be quite different. =
&nbsp;However, although the tax is reportedly highly unpopular among =
some (see "Carbon tax tops Norway grievances" at&nbsp;<a =
href=3D"http://www.scandoil.com/moxie-bm2/financial/politics_/carbon-tax-t=
ops-list-of-norway.shtml)">http://www.scandoil.com/moxie-bm2/financial/pol=
itics_/carbon-tax-tops-list-of-norway.shtml)</a>, it must make others =
satisfied, perhaps emotionally =97 and anyway, they are enjoying life in =
generally like new taxes. &nbsp;Whether taxes ever do any good is a =
matter of debate, but any rationale will suffice. &nbsp;When taxes are =
openly proposed, the poison is usually sugar-coated in some way: the =
benefit will help some worthy goal, or it will only hurt someone we =
really don't like anyway (such as the envied rich, or corporations). =
&nbsp;I have no idea why otherwise kindly and intelligent people fall =
for these scams so readily. &nbsp;Do we think that government is a god =
that should be in charge of all our activities in every detail, and =
should take and give according to some divine =
thought to control the weather. &nbsp;I think that Thor was one of them. =
&nbsp;Now we want government to take charge, and we get quite worked up =
and emotional against the imagined heretics who are thought to be =
responsible for climatic inconveniences, and we become very devout =
toward the good spirits who will rescue us if we only will =
ritualistically offer them the proper, heartfelt obeisance on election =
"being clobbered by market forces." &nbsp;That is just a variant of =
"being mugged by reality." &nbsp;I suspect all of us, deep down, resent =
Alison Webster wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div>Hi =
All, =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Oct 1, 2008<br> &nbsp;&nbsp;The October 2008 Issue of =
Canadian Geographic has an interesting article on Norway and how they =
have prospered since a carbon tax was introduced 16 (yes, sixteen) years =
ago. Large oil royalties no doubt helped.<br><br> &nbsp;&nbsp;Politics =
is usually about choosing the lesser of evils but the carbon tax idea =
introduces a good option, because it will encourage people to adapt to =
the future and thus avoid being clobbered by market forces.<br><br> =
&nbsp;&nbsp;E.g. a small privately owned company, LS9 Inc., has =
developed a way to produce oil from carbon-rich waste at an anticipated =
cost of $50/barrel. If this pans out, it will be the greatest energy =
advance since the Carnot (sp?) Cycle. All done so far without a carbon =
tax but how else can a tiny company take on Petrochemical giants and win =
?<br> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;A small private Canadian company (don't =
recall name) has for some years had a pilot scale microbial procedure =
for producing ethanol from any carbon rich material but had to go to =
Germany and the US to obtain government funding to build a commercial =
scale plant (don't know how this turned out and funding may have dried =
up).<br><br> &nbsp;&nbsp;Plasco Energy Group Inc, another small =
privately held company, is poised to turn Red Deer trash into electrical =
power.<br><br> &nbsp;&nbsp;Somewhere recently I read that killing plant =
manure, a difficult waste disposal problem, has taken a new shine as a =
potential source of methane (for energy production) and the idea is =
again emerging that even relatively small livestock operations can =
exploit methane to save on energy costs.<br><br> &nbsp;&nbsp;Any Popular =
Science or Popular Mechanics magazine from ~1978 sounds contemporary; =
same approaches, older technology. And when the petrochemical industry =
felt threatened they increased production enough to put these =
alternative energy companies out of business.<br><br> =
&nbsp;&nbsp;Without the shelter provided by a carbon tax there is a =
danger that the mistakes of 40 years ago will be repeated and all these =
positive developments, for the environment (and countless others), will =
perspective on the the upcoming election here are my =
choices:<br></blockquote><blockquote =
enjoyed the outdoors, recycles, farms as organically as possible and =
until recently on the board of directors of &nbsp;a Windfield company I =
would like to vote green.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
on fuel scares the living daylights out of me as cash flows will be =
adversely affected and no guarentee that I can recoupe the additional =
costs or qualify for the programs created to help farmers. (I do not =
need new farm equipment at this time nor does the Farmer I rent =
equipment from either as the capital cost is too great vs the fuel and =
efficiency savings).<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote =
representative falsely accused the CEO of my current employer of insider =
trading when he himself sent emails regarding changes in income trusts =
before it was publicly announced.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
tax policies help my middle class pocket book but also stopped the =
sale/split of my employer (which most employees saw as beneficial). The =
conservatives are also not supportive of the environmental innitiatives =
that I would like to see.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
is in the right place but I think would financially tax the country into =
an economic crash to cover all the increased =
spending.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
answer. An independant would look really good right now (Mr Casey, =
please switch ridings).<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">Rob Woods<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"> <br></blockquote><blockquote =
&lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:neilyornis@hotmail.com">neilyornis@hotmail.com</a>><br></bl=
ockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite">To: <a =
href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca</a><br></b=
lockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite">Sent: Wednesday, October 1, 2008 =
[NatureNS] Nova Scotia's nature and the federal =
election<br></blockquote><blockquote =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;While most of us would agree with Blake that a Harper =
majority would be a disaster for Canada, I would hope that most would =
vote for the party that has the best understanding of, and solutions =
for, environmental issues, unless you are in a constituency where there =
is a real danger that the regressive conservatives might eke out a =
narrow victory. &nbsp;This idea of exchanging votes strategically may =
have merit, but it depends on complete trust between the persons doing =
the exchange and so is subject to abuse, as well as to wrong guesses as =
to which party would have the best chance of an upset. =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;At the risk of sounding political (I have not =
yet decided whom to vote for), I am envious of the residents of Central =
Nova, who not only have a chance to elect the leader best informed on =
environmental issues (and the only female), but to defeat Peter =
MacKayavelli, who is an embarrassment to Canadians still best known for =
his betrayal of the PCs by breaking the promise that he gave in writing =
to get the leadership of the party. &nbsp;No wonder that he couldn't =
understand what all the fuss was about when Harper decided that the =
government should disregard (or break) the Atlantic Accords. &nbsp;We =
can only hope that enough of the voters there will think carefully, =
instead of just voting for a favorite son of a favorite =
son.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Think Green!<br></blockquote><blockquote =
Scotia<br></blockquote><blockquote =
globally, Act locally." - Ren=E9 Dubos, =
1972.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">------------------------------------------------------------=
href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca</a><br></b=
lockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite">From: <a =
href=3D"mailto:maybank@ns.sympatico.ca">maybank@ns.sympatico.ca</a><br></b=
lockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite">Subject: [NatureNS] Nova Scotia's =
nature and the federal election<br></blockquote><blockquote =
All;<br></blockquote><blockquote =
for the nature of Nova Scotia, and the environment of the world. =
&nbsp;Consequently, it is necessary to get political at times. =
&nbsp;&nbsp;This is one of those times.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
the thought of Harper achieving a majority government. &nbsp;The =
environment, our culture, and our society will suffer. &nbsp;But how can =
we make our anti-Harper votes count? &nbsp;&nbsp;Fortunately, voting =
strategically is now much easier. Go to:<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">www.voteforenvironment.com &lt;<a =
href=3D"http://www.voteforenvironment.com/">http://www.voteforenvironment.=
remarkable website that is tracking every riding in the country, and =
making up-to-the-minute suggestions on how best to fight =
Harper.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
I urge you to contact your friends, family, colleagues, and everyone on =
your e-mail list, and let them know about this web site. &nbsp;If we can =
affect the results in some key ridings, who knows what might happen? =
&nbsp;&nbsp;Our environment and our society deserve our support. =
type=3D"cite">Respectfully,<br></blockquote><blockquote =
href=3D"mailto:maybank@ns.sympatico.ca">maybank@ns.sympatico.ca</a><br></b=
information fix on your phone. With MSN Mobile you get regular news, =
sports and &nbsp;finance updates. Try it today! &lt;<a =
href=3D"http://www.msnmobile.ca/">http://www.msnmobile.ca/</a>><br></block=

--Boundary_(ID_IK1mJoUip48ndSIw7xc4sA)--