[NatureNS] Re: Dead spruce trees

From: "Roland McCormick" <roland.mccormick@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 13:28:02 -0300

           Everywhere I go in the Barrington area these days I see dead
spruce trees. They are now coming in my own back yard. I had one dead tree
removed recently, and was told I would have a half dozen more in a year or
two.  It seems that it is the old trees that are dying - inspect them and
you will find small brown lumps on the bark caused by some kind of beetles.
I am wondering how widespread these are in NS, and how serious the problem
will become..

Roland