[NatureNS] re Groundhog Day storm

Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 08:57:06 -0300
From: Joan Czapalay <joancz@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

&lt;div style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,228,228)"&gt;&lt;b&gt;F
Yes, the Groundhog Day Storm was Feb.2nd, 1976. Winds were clocked at
Yarmouth airport at 101 mph at noon, but I think they were even stronger
at CSI and Baccaro. The CSI causeway was impassable due to the storm
surge at high tide, and some fishing boats were lifted and moved across
the road at Sherose Island. The intensity of the storm was a surprise,
so not many took precautions, resulting in much loss of property.
Thankfully no lives were lost due to the "storm of the century", and my
grade six class at Port La Tour School had some great writing projects
about the storm, when we finally got back to school. Power was out for
several days.Cheers, Joan