[NatureNS] Brier Island Weekend

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 15:47:52 +0000

--_3eb5a7a5-8571-4d13-8c09-7b96fe07b51a_

Considering the weather it was not a bad weekend.  On the way to Brier Isla=
nd we comprised a list of about 57 species on Friday.  Of note on the way w=
ere two wood ducks at South Brookfield in a lake there where they are commo=
nly found.  On Digby Neck at one stop we had some turkey vultures=2C a nort=
hern harrier=2C a merlin=2C two red-tailed hawks and a sharp-shinned hawk. =
 Some ring-necked ducks are still about here and there.
=20
On the island I've compiled a list of 55 species only that were seen.  Wayn=
e will likely be able to add a few other species.  I heard a northern saw-w=
het and we heard both a great horned owl and a long earred owl=2C but I did=
 not include these on the list.  I'll send a listing of the birds I know to=
 Wayne and he can send in a listing from his point of view.  It was overall=
 quiet on the island.  Saturday morning the sky was full of warblers at Nor=
th Light=2C but with the wind and rain when they dropped into the shrubs an=
d alders=2C all we could get was mostly a flash.  Warbler species were not =
plentiful.  We only saw black-throated green=2C palm=2C yellow=2C common ye=
llowthroat and yellow-rumped warblers that I know about.  For woodpeckers o=
nly the northern flicker was seen on the island.  A few brown-headed cowbir=
ds were nice.  On Saturday morning Black-legged kittiwakes were nice to see=
 somewhat close in.  Four of us saw a dark phase gyrfalcon at Pond Cove and=
 when leaving Sunday morning I saw it again somewhat close to North Light. =
 A much more chunky bird with a longer tail than the two or three peregrine=
 falcons on the island.  Pond Cove on the beach side was good in regards to=
 there being Seven American golden plovers there on Friday evening and at l=
east one on Saturday.  We also had a single dunlin and three pectoral sandp=
ipers. =20
=20
Sunday was very quiet on the island=2C unless Wayne found more later.  I co=
uld only come up with 27 species in an hour.  We  left and headed back and =
made the right choice as the birding at Freeport was great.  We racked up a=
round 37 species in less than 15 minutes.  These included two new for my ye=
ar list that I kept missing.  Of note:  Blue-winged teal=2C an American Bit=
tern=2C a Nelson's sharp-tailed sparrow=2C two yellow-bellied sapsuckers an=
d a female northern shoveler.
=20
On the way back through at Mink Cove=2C we saw a spotted sandpiper and surf=
 scoters. =20
=20
At another local there were two bald eagles and black-legged kittiwakes ver=
y close to shore.=20
=20
Ospreys were also prevelant at quite a few locals on the way back through.
=20
James R. Hirtle
East LaHave=20

--_3eb5a7a5-8571-4d13-8c09-7b96fe07b51a_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt=3B
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
Considering the weather it was not a bad weekend.&nbsp=3B On the way to Bri=
er Island we comprised a list of about 57 species on Friday.&nbsp=3B Of not=
e on the way were two wood ducks at South Brookfield in a lake there where =
they are commonly found.&nbsp=3B On Digby Neck at one stop we had some turk=
ey vultures=2C a northern harrier=2C a merlin=2C two red-tailed hawks and a=
 sharp-shinned hawk.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BSome ring-necked ducks are still about =
here and there.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
On the island I've compiled a list of 55 species only that were seen.&nbsp=
=3B Wayne will likely be able to add a few other species.&nbsp=3B I heard a=
 northern saw-whet and we heard both a great horned owl and a long earred o=
wl=2C but I did not include these on the list.&nbsp=3B I'll send a listing =
of the birds I know to&nbsp=3BWayne and he can send in a listing from his p=
oint of view.&nbsp=3B It was overall quiet on the island.&nbsp=3B Saturday =
morning the sky was full of warblers at North Light=2C but with the wind an=
d rain when they dropped into the shrubs and alders=2C all we could get was=
 mostly a&nbsp=3Bflash.&nbsp=3B Warbler species were not plentiful.&nbsp=3B=
 We only saw black-throated green=2C palm=2C yellow=2C common yellowthroat =
and yellow-rumped warblers that I know about.&nbsp=3B For woodpeckers only =
the northern flicker was seen on the island.&nbsp=3B A few brown-headed cow=
birds were nice.&nbsp=3B On Saturday morning Black-legged kittiwakes were n=
ice to see somewhat close in.&nbsp=3B Four of us saw a dark phase gyrfalcon=
 at Pond Cove and when leaving Sunday&nbsp=3Bmorning I saw it again somewha=
t close to North Light.&nbsp=3B A much more chunky bird with a longer tail =
than the&nbsp=3Btwo or three peregrine falcons on the island.&nbsp=3B Pond =
Cove on the beach side was good in regards to there being Seven American go=
lden plovers there on Friday evening and&nbsp=3Bat least one on Saturday.&n=
bsp=3B We also had a single dunlin and three pectoral sandpipers.&nbsp=3B <=

&nbsp=3B<BR>
Sunday was very quiet on the island=2C unless Wayne found more later.&nbsp=
=3B I could only come up with 27 species in an hour.&nbsp=3B We&nbsp=3B lef=
t and headed back and made the right choice as the birding at Freeport was =
great.&nbsp=3B We racked up around 37 species in less than 15 minutes.&nbsp=
=3B These included two new for my year list that I kept missing.&nbsp=3B Of=
 note:&nbsp=3B Blue-winged teal=2C an American Bittern=2C a Nelson's sharp-=
tailed sparrow=2C two yellow-bellied sapsuckers and a female northern shove=
ler.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
On the way back through at Mink Cove=2C we&nbsp=3Bsaw a spotted sandpiper a=
nd surf scoters.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
At another local there were two bald eagles and black-legged kittiwakes ver=
y close to shore. <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Ospreys were also prevelant at quite a few locals on the way back through.<=

&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
East LaHave&nbsp=3B<BR><br /><hr />Get your information fix on your phone. =
With MSN Mobile you get regular news=2C sports and =A0finance updates. <a h=
ref=3D'http://www.msnmobile.ca' target=3D'_new'>Try it today!</a></body>

--_3eb5a7a5-8571-4d13-8c09-7b96fe07b51a_--