[NatureNS] Articles re: Bird Population declines in North America

Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 13:35:51 -0300
From: "Margaret E.Millard" <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

I was listening to Bob Bancroft on the CBC call in show yesterday afternoon
when a caller said he wanted to know why Purple finches were dying at his
feeders even after his wife had washed them ( it?).
Did anyone else hear that? I don't know where he was as the phone rang just
then and It was important that I answer it.
I saw one questionable bird but that was quite early in August and I didn't
see it closely enough to see if it was sick or shedding plumage. Mr.
Bancroft was unaware of any diseases in birds locally. I wonder if anyone
contacted CBC or if it is even worth doing so. Maybe to gather the location
and maybe a dead bird if one was in the offing?
There are a number of very small (warbler vireos?) flitting atop the maples
here today. Nice after the quiet of yesterday. I know one or two have a very
strong and repetitive call.......one sharp note rising slightly at the end.
Not a pretty sound.
I am having a number of unusual window strikes on the south side of the
house the past couple days. Usually it is mainly mourning doves but these
seem to be smaller birds like song sparrows. They aren't seemingly hurt as I
see them go back about their business. Closing blinds doesn't seem to help
so must be reflections.
Marg Millard
White Point, Queens Co.
http://margmillard.ca