[NatureNS] Photos of dead mystery bird (red-eyed vireo?)

To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: Patrick Kelly <patrick.kelly@dal.ca>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 20:58:32 -0300

--Apple-Mail-337-1068660761
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

Hi everyone:

Yesterday a bird hit the window of my office. This is a fairly rate
occurance and has always been either a chickadee or a goldfinch. When I
looked out, it was still flapping around so I went outside with a box
and a towel, hoping that it wasn't hurt too badly.

I was quite surprised to find that it was a bird I had never seen
before. I brought it around into the sun to keep it warm, but it died
about 10 minutes after I got to it. The first two pictures were taken
when it was alive, the final one after it died.

http://myweb.dal.ca/pmkelly/DeadBird1.jpg
http://myweb.dal.ca/pmkelly/DeadBird2.jpg
http://myweb.dal.ca/pmkelly/DeadBird3.jpg

I'm not sure which type of vireo it is. My first guess, based on the
eye-stripes would be red-eyed, except that while it was looking around
while it was still alert and alive and the eye showed no red at all.
The only other species i could imagine it being is a Philadelphia
vireo, but although it seems to have the emerald green back, it does
not have the yellow breast.

I'll be taking it to the museum tomorrow, along with the frozen
red-tailed hawk which has been occupying our freezer since late June.

Pat

==
Patrick Kelly
Director of Computer Facilities
==
Faculty of Architecture and Planning
Dalhousie University
==
PO Box 1000 Stn Central                5410 Spring Garden Road
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2X4           Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2X4
Canada                                 Canada
==
Phone:(902) 494-3294    FAX:(902) 423-6672   E-mail:patrick.kelly@dal.ca
==

--Apple-Mail-337-1068660761

[...]