[NatureNS] Re: Mushrooms&Fungi

Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 08:13:13 -0300
From: Joan Czapalay <joancz@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Pat, Leslie and all - I love the family of Earth Tongue fungi. There
is a very good paper (although it refers to fungi in the U.K. it is
useful for the grouping information) at this link:
http://fungus.org.uk/nwfg/earth-tongues.htm

I have always loved mushrooms to look at, draw, photograph, and to use
for cooking.
Once when I was about ten years old, I decided to have a "Mushroom and
Toadstool" show in my playhouse, I would charge a penny to the public
(all ten of my rural neighbours) to view the display. I gathered all
morning, and arranged my exhibits on and in orange crates.By noon I was
feeling unwell, and during noon dinner I "blossomed" with the measles.
After ten days can you imagine what the playhouse looked (and smelled)
like? My mother was not impressed. We did the clean-up together.
Dr. Ken Harrison led some great fungi trips in the 70's in Shelburne
County and introduced me to some delicious species.
I have also enjoyed HFN outings with Marion Zinck Munroe, who is an
excellent field trip leader. Perhaps it is time to have another Fungi
trip. This is a great autumn for mushrooms. Cheers, Joan