[NatureNS] Mushrooms&Fungi

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 22:56:56 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

Hi there,

         I wish that I had an answer for Leslie, but I don't.  I too
have noticed an abundance of fungi recently, including some less
common ones.  Recently at the Frog Pond in Jollimore, HRM I have seen
two different species which I have never seen in that location
before.  Both are bright yellow/orange.  One is upright, clublike
(i.e. no umbrella-like cap) and about as big as a thumb or
finger.  It was growing in clusters near an old log.  I saw something
like it at Mount Uniacke a number of years ago; Reta Cook and I were
looking for fungi after an HFN field trip one October, and spent some
time photographing them. I recall they were in the "Earth Tongues"
group.  Hans Toom has a lovely photo on his website,
http://hanstoom.com/Highlights/August08.html , of a yellow species
which looks rather similar.

         Another species I have seen at the Frog Pond is smaller,
with a thin wiry/curly body, and almost translucent.  This one I have
never seen anywhere before.

         Cheers,

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax