[NatureNS] French Basin Trail, Annaplis Royal

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 16:17:41 -0300
From: Bob McDonald <bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_yP0Swb9v8pV+fZEINXkfgQ)

Greetings,

I had occasion over the weekend to walk around the French Basin Trail on Sunday morning (Sept 14) as Richard described below.  In addition to the ducks which Richard mentioned, there were a few Blue-winged Teal but I couldn't at first find the Shoveller.  However, on scrambling up the side of the hill to look over the secondary treatment lagoons, there was one female N. Shoveller keeping company with the largest congregation of Wood Ducks I have ever seen.  Although they flew off as soon as I stuck my head up, I counted at least 28 in flight with 3-4 remaining at the farthest end of the ponds.  Clearly, they had a very successful breeding season!  Too bad I couldn't get a picture!

The only shorebirds seen were about a dozen L. Yellowlegs on the smallest islands.  Good numbers of PB Grebes were still present along with 4 RW Blackbirds, at least 3 G Catbirds and a half dozen C. Yellowthroats.  A pair of Kingfishers, one GB Heron and a single Merlin entered the mix.  Apart from the many YR Warblers which remain, I managed to find one Magnolia and One Yellow.

No swallows or rails were seen!

It was a wonderful morning - 28 species in 1.5 hours, and a lovely walk.

Cheers,

Bob McDonald

P.S.  Almost forgot - one RT Hummingbird buzzed past me at the marsh and 2 were still frequenting a feeder in Cambridge Station on Sat (Sept 13) at one of our stops enroute.