[NatureNS] Re: Stint on Brier Island in 1997

Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 23:33:10 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

Hi there,

         I have received more information about the stint that was
found on Brier Island in 1997.  I'm sorry my story as I told it was
incomplete and perhaps misleading.  As I indicated, I wasn't able to
stay for Doug McRae's return and any discussion after he consulted
his books; it must have been an interesting challenge to establish
the ID.  I sometimes wondered how it all turned out.  Apparently the
bird was ultimately identified as a Little Stint, which was the other
species which Doug McRae was considering.  They are a challenge to
distinguish in non-breeding plumage.  The Little Stint is also a
Eurasian species, but one which has been seen at least once before in
Nova Scotia, and rarely elsewhere in the northeast.   A great find,
nonetheless, and I still wish I had seen it!

         There were certainly well-equipped photographers among the
tour group, and I remember one saying something about wanting to "get
a better picture" which gave me the impression that some photos at
least were taken, of whatever quality.  However I don't know who
would have photos, Liz.

         Cheers,

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax