[NatureNS] Nova Scotia Bird Society field trip: Briar Island: Sept. 26 to Sept. 28

Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 13:46:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: Suzanne Borkowski <suzanneborkowski@yahoo.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Everyone;

Two years ago, I chartered the Mariner Cruises boat from Roy and Penny Graham for the Bird Society's field trip.

We had chum - which Bob McDonald threw out - thanks, Bob!  No one else wanted to touch the smelly stuff!

The sea was choppy that day - not bad enough to cancel - but bad enough that a few people definite got seasick - including yours truly! The smell of the chum and the swell of the water was a deadly combination for me!

I'm not inclined to try this again for several reasons:
(and not just because I got seasick)
- the price was high: $1400.00 - probably more now - and I had to pay that
up front on my credit card.
- The total amount got split among the total number of participants, and they had to pay me.  People were handing me cash on the boat, (I couldn't take credit card payments, obviously), I found it hard to make change, I was terrified of losing some of it, and of walking around all weekend with hundreds of dollars in my purse!
- 32 people booked, but only 29 showed up - which meant it cost each person almost $50.00
- Given the rough seas, some people would have opted for the next day - but when you charter, if it doesn't get cancelled, you're locked in.

We did get a Skua; Great? South Polar? I missed it; I had my head in a bag!
but outside of that, the chum didn't seem to make a huge difference.  Would it have come in without the chum?  Who knows.

Bottom line is, I'm not willing to do this again.  If someone else is - great!  Go for it!
Cheers;
Suzanne