[NatureNS] Carrion beetle

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:04:52 -0300
From: "Randy Lauff" <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_1924_22250197.1219928692835

2008/8/26 David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>

> Dear All,                    Aug 26, 2008
>   Today while hauling firewood, I found a large attractive Carrion Beetle
> (Necrophila americana (L)) in a pile of Populus grandidentata that was cut,
> split and piled in 2007. It was quite at ease with having been exposed,
> sitting with antennae splayed foreward and not moving at all and remained
> equally calm when I moved it to a post top. More than 5 minutes later it
> moved away and presumably flew.

Most predators require movement of their prey to initiate an attach (hence
your mother telling you never to run from a threatening dog). That carrion
beetle was not very likely "at ease with having been exposed", rather it was
likely "scared poopless" (I figure that term will get past the filters!) for
fear of being detected. Of course both descriptions assign emotion to an
insect that likely has none.

>   I have previously seen this species only once, on freshly split dead
> Populus tremuloides (Sept 24, 2004) about 150 paces SE.

This is a relatively common carrion beetle, somewhat more so in open
habitats, but found in the forests as well. An image can be found at
http://bugguide.net/images/raw/LZELQZELRZ9L7ZRH0RRH0R9LMRYZ0RHH7ZRH2RQHERYZSRRHERVLYLDZYL9LRZDL7ZCLIZTLMZ.jpg

> And on Aug 17, 2008 I found *Nicrophorus pustulatus* Herschel (another
> large Barrion Beetle) in a nearby pile of White Ash firewood that was cut
> live Jan 2008.

Now this one is uncommonly caught, though I'm not so sure it's because of
rarity. My student's work this summer found it four times more often in
hemlock dominated woods compared with deciduous woods. Most who catch it do
so at lights. By the way, there's an interesting slip-of-the-keyboard
above..."Barrion Beetle". Although *Ni. pustulatus* is a Carrion Beetle,
more specifically, it is a Burying Beetle.

> Like gold and everything else, Carrion Beetles are where you find them but
> I wonder if they are there as hunters or for shelter.

*Ne. americana* is diurnal, *Ni. pustulatus* is nocturnal, so where you
found the latter is more likely to be its shelter.

Randy
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.