Cultivation of JN and food value: Re: [NatureNS] a positive aside on Japanese Knotweed

Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 19:34:17 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi All,                Aug 17, 2008
    As I indicated earlier, cultivation peps it up. I expect this is due
to some rhizomes (the few that survive the cultivation) being freed from
the competition of other rhizomes (the many that cultivation kills).
Stagnation of pure patches due to overcrowding is just part of plant
competition and JN is no doubt prone to this.

    So cultivation is not the last thing you want to do to control it.
It is something to entirely avoid.

    Fernald, Kinsey & Rollins (Edible wild plants of eastern north
america; 1958) say the young shoots up to a foot high are delicious when
boiled or steamed for 4 minutes. I tried them once, and perhaps hit a
bad clone, but once was enough.
Yt, DW, Kentville