[NatureNS] a positive aside on Japanese Knotweed

Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 20:47:34 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Margaret & All,                Aug 16, 2008
    To contain a perennial herbaceous plant such as JN one must go for
the juglar so to speak.

    Such plants are dependent on reserves, that are stored in rhizomes
or other underground storage structures, to get started in the spring.
Sending shoots up in the spring decreases these reserves to some extent
so the trick is to mow before any resources can be translocated back
from the new shoot to the rhizome and by mowing early it may be possible
to deplete the storage reserves of several shoot production cycles in
one growing season.

    Getting something else established to compete with it will help
also. Avoid digging. That just perks it up.
Yt, DW, Kentville