[NatureNS] Relative Humidity

Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 22:24:25 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Randy & All,            Aug 15, 2008
    It depends upon how clean the air is. Condensation is usually
initiated around hydroscopic nuclei. My Meteorology book (Taylor) says
that "With perfectly pure air from which all nuclei have been removed by
repeated washing, condensation will not start until a relative humidity
of about 420% is reached...".

    But in all but ultra pure air, supersaturation so far as I know is
transient as caused e.g. by sudden cooling as in a cloud chamber where
as I recall the detection of charged particle movement relies on
charge-induced condensation of supersaturated air.

    Frankly I would suspect probe calibration [I tried recording RH
using Omega (?) probes about 1992 and none of three (?) new probes
worked well enough to be of use due to output drift] to be faulty if
checks of the headspace of constant humidity solutions have not been
run. Any Chemistry and Physics Handbook edition should have this
information indexed as 'constant humidity'. For example, the RH of air
over a saturated solution of ZnSO4.7H2O is 90% at 20oC. One could get a
rough idea of calibration just using a covered jar with excess crystals
in a dark closed closet but a covered wide-mouth Dewar flask in a
constant temperature chamber would give more reproducible readings.
Yt, DW