[NatureNS] hummers

From: Christopher Majka <c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 17:11:49 -0300

--Apple-Mail-7--1031058529

Hi Annabelle,

Below is part of a lengthy post I wrote on hummingbird food a couple
of years ago.

Cheers,

Chris

1) Sugar Concentration and Taste

Hummingbirds clearly favor more concentrated solutions (up to a 60%
solution) over less concentrated ones (down to 10%). The sweeter it
is, the more they will be attracted to it. Two separate studies based
on different metabolic, environmental and biomechanical criteria have
predicted that optimal solutions for hummingbirds would be 22-26% (in
one case) or 35-40% (in the second case). Note that natural sugar
concentrations in flower nectar tend to be in the 20% region (i.e. a
4:1 solution of water to sugar).

Hummingbirds seem to like both sucrose and glucose equally but greatly
prefer either to fructose, which they are distinctly not fond of. This
is consistent with the sugars which naturally occur in flowers
frequented by hummingbirds.

They show no interest at all in artificial sweeteners (saccharin,
aspartame, Equal). There is some question as to whether they can even
taste these substances since they way in which they stimulate sweet
receptors in humans is not even universal in mammals, let alone birds.

There is some evidence that very high concentrations (50-60%) may be
metabolized sub-optimally by hummingbirds and that at such high
concentrations the birds may require supplementary drinking water to
maintain osmotic homeostasis of body fluids. As to whether it actually
causes them any harm seems to be (as yet) a moot point.

On 3-Aug-08, at 4:04 PM, annabelle wrote:

> I would be careful with that syrup as I have read that stronger then
> 1:4 is not good for them.
>
> Margaret E.Millard wrote:
>> Hello there. I too have more hummingbirds than I have ever had
>> before. I have strange males coming in now and still one family to
>> come away from the nest I think. I upped my sugar syrup this past
>> Friday to a mix between 1:3 and 1:4. I wanted to see if it would
>> cut down on the friction at the feeders. Things are getting really
>> excited. The first day there were up to four birds and a couple
>> waiting at the ports but now today we are back to shrieking and
>> stabbing.
>> Things might be a bit upset as our big apple tree out back decided
>> to break apart this morning and I know there were birds using that
>> branch for shelter........maybe as we clean up, I will find
>> remnants of a nest.
>> Marg in White Point, Queens.
>> http://margmillard.ca
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "win&Ina" <win@eastlink.ca>

Christopher Majka
Nova Scotia Museum, 1747 Summer St., Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada  B3H
3A6
c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca

--Apple-Mail-7--1031058529

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">Hi =
hummingbird food a couple of years =
clearly favor more concentrated solutions
(up to a&nbsp;60% solution) over less concentrated ones (down to 10%).
The&nbsp;sweeter it is, the more they will be attracted to it. Two
separate&nbsp;studies based on different metabolic, environmental =
and&nbsp;biomechanical criteria have predicted that optimal
solutions for&nbsp;hummingbirds would be 22-26% (in one case) or 35-40% =
(in
the&nbsp;second case). Note that natural sugar concentrations in
flower&nbsp;nectar tend to be in the 20% region (i.e. a 4:1 solution
align=3D"">Hummingbirds seem to like both sucrose and glucose
equally but&nbsp;greatly prefer either to fructose, which they are
distinctly not fond of.&nbsp;This is consistent with the sugars which =
naturally occur
in flowers&nbsp;frequented by hummingbirds.</div> <div =
align=3D"">&nbsp;</div> <div align=3D"">They show no interest at all in =
artificial sweeteners
(saccharin,&nbsp;aspartame, Equal). There is some question as to whether
they can&nbsp;even taste these substances since they way in which they
stimulate&nbsp;sweet receptors in humans is not even universal in
mammals, let&nbsp;alone

concentrations
(50-60%) may&nbsp;be metabolized sub-optimally by hummingbirds and that =
at
such high&nbsp;concentrations the birds may require supplementary
drinking water&nbsp;to maintain osmotic homeostasis of body fluids. As =
whether it&nbsp;actually causes them any harm seems to be (as yet) a =
moot
point.</div><div class=3D"MsoPlainText"><o:p></o:p></div>

<!--EndFragment-->

wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><div>I would be careful with that syrup as I have read =
that stronger then 1:4 is not good for them.<br><br>Margaret E.Millard =
wrote:<br><blockquote type=3D"cite">Hello there. I too have more =